Review by DaughterofAres_4031 -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DaughterofAres_4031
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daughterofares-4031.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by DaughterofAres_4031 -- The Cult Next Door

Post by DaughterofAres_4031 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

George Sharkman is the manipulative and mentally unstable leader of a cult. Captivating a young and impressionable Elizabeth Burchard and leading her down a 20 year rabbit hole along with many other insecure and affection starved women. Elizabeth describes her dissent into this dark pit and her shining hope that lead to escape in the form of her friendship with outsider, Judy Carlone.

Elizabeth tells of George using not only her her but others for financial gain and sex, and his dissent into the madness he created. Elizabeth sugarcoats nothing and gives the full, gruesome, tragic, and horrifying story in The Cult Next Door.

I give this inspiring literary piece a 3 out of 4 stars. The slow pace ( not a huge problem, though noticeable) is the only thing holding The Cult Next Door back from 4 out of 4 stars. The tragic story brings hope to those seemingly trapped in hopeless situations. Elizabeth’s struggles and eventual escape ( though taken literally is not relatable to most) can be applied to any hopeless situation and give hope. The characters themselves are well written and relatable allowing the readers to place themselves in Elizabeth and other character’s shoes.

What I like most about this book is specifically the message of hope and courage it brings to those in a very dark place in their life. A truly well-written, insightful, and thought-provoking piece. It brings to light the danger of the normalization of manipulation that is present in our society, not just in cults as we like to think. This revelation though unsettling in significant and necessary because, contrary to popular belief, even the most intelligent are susceptible to manipulation under the right circumstances.

I would definitely recommend The Cult Next Door to anyone looking for a well written, insightful, and thought-provoking read. Well written and relatable characters, a message of hope, and captivating language are just a few of the things that make this such a good read. Definitely deserving of every star it gets The Cult Next Door is a book everyone should read once in their life. It is not appropriate for some younger readers due to depictions of interactions of a sexual nature. However, it does not detract from it’s inspiring message of hope in a time of darkness that all of us eventually experience (even if not to the full extent of being manipulated into a cult) and can relate to.

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DaughterofAres_4031's review? Post a comment saying so!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do agree with you about this story being inspiring to other individuals who have been and or is going through similar issues of being under someone else's control.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”