Review by LaurenHaupt -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by LaurenHaupt -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by LaurenHaupt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Attrention all murder mystery lovers! The book that I just finished reading will not only have you craving for pancakes, but it is also a great murder mystery. The book is called Pancake Money.

This wonderful novel was written By Finn Bell. It is a fictional novel. The story takes place in Dunedin, which is a city in New Zealand. In the beginning, after you finish reading the gory prologue, you are introduced to two policemen, Pollo and Bobby. Pollo is talking to Bobby about his childhood. They both don't know it yet but they are about to be involved in some gruesome murders that will drastically change both of their lives forever. There is a killer or a group of killers that are hunting down people and killing them in very violent ways. Without leaving any evidence behind, this case is a tough one to solve. Who would want them dead and why? Meanwhile, there is a gang called the Manga Kahu, that is causing a lot of problems in the area. Are they behind all of this insanity? Who would want these poor victims to suffer?

I found this book to be very enjoyable. There is a lot of action throughout the whole book to keep you interested in what is going on. The story only gets better the farther you get into it. There are a lot of surprising twist and turns. The ending was very unpredictable. There are some happy and sad scenes in the story. You are given the chance to learn about the main characters really well. That is really important to me when reading a story. The author gives you an insight into their personal lives. You learn how these policemen cope with their doing their job and also being a family man. You also learn about what situations they deal with at home and what some of their family rituals are.

This book is also educational. I've learned some information about criminal profiling. I've also learned about what it is like to live the life of a law enforcement officer. I've learned about what kind of stresses that they have to go through. I have a deeper appreciation for law enforcement after reading this book.

The book does have some pretty violent scenes to it. It might not be suitable for all children. There were only two small issues that I didn't like. You learn pretty quick that the story takes place in Dunedin but not more specifically where. There are a lot of Dunedin cities. You, later on, learn that it is in New Zealand. I also wish the book had chapters to it. I just find that it is easier to remember where you left off that way. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves murder mysteries. This story is very unpredictable. There is a Forensic Science instructor in the story. If you read the book pay close attention to what she teaches. Her lessons blend in with the story really well.

I didn't notice any grammar errors in the book. I thought it was very well written. I would give this story 4 out of 4 stars. It kept me interested in who was the killer the whole way through. I am very blessed to be given the chance to read this book. I hope I can find more from this author.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LaurenHaupt's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyingbrown:
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do like having a more personal insight on the characters in a book. For me, it seems that the better I know them the deep I fall into the storyline. Yes, it also is a fiction novel that gets better the more you read which is always great.
Chelsea N. Hackett
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

chelhack wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 16:34 I do like having a more personal insight on the characters in a book. For me, it seems that the better I know them the deep I fall into the storyline. Yes, it also is a fiction novel that gets better the more you read which is always great.
chelhack wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 16:34 I do like having a more personal insight on the characters in a book. For me, it seems that the better I know them the deep I fall into the storyline. Yes, it also is a fiction novel that gets better the more you read which is always great.
Makes the book a lot more easier to read. Thanks for stopping by.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I can't wait to read this book. I enjoy suspense and action in a book. I also love detective novels.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Nma26 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 11:07 I can't wait to read this book. I enjoy suspense and action in a book. I also love detective novels.
It was fun. It seemed like it only got better. It didn't slow down. I hope you do like it.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I love books where there a killer and the characters have to find them. I also love that there's a lot of action involved. Great review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Raya raymond wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 12:21 I love books where there a killer and the characters have to find them. I also love that there's a lot of action involved. Great review.
There is a lot of action. The longer you read it the more intense it gets too. Thank you.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Why didn't it have chapters? It would have made it easier to read and also digest.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 16:55 Why didn't it have chapters? It would have made it easier to read and also digest.
Would have been easier with chapters.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow! A good book, well edited! A rare find. I’ll have to give it a go, I do like a good murder.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Helen_Combe wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 09:44 Wow! A good book, well edited! A rare find. I’ll have to give it a go, I do like a good murder.
It was one of my most enjoyable reviews. Hope you like it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”