Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Boom! A Revolting Situation

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Boom! A Revolting Situation

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Boom! A Revolting Situation" by Thomas Richard Harry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Recently I saw in The Economist, which made me think:
Is the American voting system in need of reform? What do you think?
Quadrennial on the month of November sets a day for the presidential election in the USA. It's an election which the world looks up to since it affects any country which maintains a political and economic relationship with them. The idea of every vote counts made sense as every vote states a clear validation to the decision-making process that took place.

In this sophisticated and brilliant piece of work, Thomas Richard Harry maintains its standards as a political read. Boom! A Revolting Situation consists of 22 chapters, a prologue, an introduction, a prelude, and notes and biography. Thomas Richard Harry is a retired US senator. He is a proud author for 3 other political reads. The author has studied this subject for years and concluded his findings, in this book, based on his research. Thomas Richard Harry has used renown books like Anarchy, State, and Utopia (1974) and A Theory of Justice (1971) as a reference to add value to his work.

My interest in political genre arose when I found out the reason for the up-rise of the World War II. I would highly recommend this book ONLY for readers who are interested in the political read. There were many hindrances at the start of the read which frustrated me. I wanted to give this read 2 out of 4 stars, one point deducted for the hindrances and the other point for the difficulty that I experienced while reading. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars considering the immeasurable effort the author had put in his work.

Thomas Richard Harry embarks on a mission to bring awareness about the wave of political changes that Americans have witnessed throughout history till date. This book exaggerates the importance of meeting a balanced society. The author questions about the political satisfaction that the Americans have in general.

The author uses the introduction as a synopsis. Technically to summon each chapter, and justify his reason and opinion. He has stated what each chapter discusses and their importance. I had an opportunity to learn new vocabulary such as balderdash, coalesce and amorphous, etc.

The prelude takes us back to the outskirts of Belfast, Northern Ireland, to a small pub where the idea of a revolution took place in Europe. The beginning of chapter one caught my attention, and it states as follows:
"Philosophically, I'm a liberal.
Culturally, I'm a moderate conservative .
Politically, I'm an independent.
Today, as we'll see, that make me somewhat of a revolutionary!"
This read provides an insight into the American politics. The use of public choice theory to decide on voting rights shapes itself. This read showed me the real importance of this statement - every vote counts. The author used an argumentative approach in his work. Thomas makes an effort to address the reader to get involved in his read which was very effective. I like the prelude because it took away the boring nature of a political read. It was deeply challenging that at times I felt I was waging a war with this read. It was a tedious, yet a mind-blowing reading experience. There were times that I agreed and disagreed with the author's opinion.

The author points out how people complained about things, but never really took action to change it. He exaggerated on the importance of the time-to-act policy which reminded me of a World War II film called Valkyrie. The German military had 3 hours to act quickly, to take Germany out of Hitler's hands (when the bomb exploded in the operations room), but the military did not act quickly which resulted in Claus von Stauffenberg paying the price. This read opened me to the world of the American politics, and it made me realize that politics in every part of the world wasn't different to what's happening in America. A detailed description about the ways of the governing, the legal constitutions and legislation passed throughout the years, the questioning of people's satisfaction, and the current state of affairs piled together helps to create a Boom! A Revolting Situation.

Boom! A Revolting Situation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I am not into politics and your review made me decide to bypass reading this book. I'm so sorry to hear about the hindrances and the difficulty that you experienced while reading this book. I salute you for giving credits to the author's effort.
Sahani Nimandra

Dolor wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 05:39 I am not into politics and your review made me decide to bypass reading this book. I'm so sorry to hear about the hindrances and the difficulty that you experienced while reading this book. I salute you for giving credits to the author's effort.
Thank you for commenting! Honestly, I would recommend this read as a casual read to anyone.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I don't like political reads. But the boom sounds really great for those who do. I liked your review!
Sahani Nimandra

Laura Bach wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 07:32 I don't like political reads. But the boom sounds really great for those who do. I liked your review!
Thank you for stopping by! Yes, the Boom does sound great to those who appreciate sophisticated work as this, yet it was a tedious read.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a fascinating read, especially in this time when the political spotlight is on America. Thanks for the lovely review, although it's a pity about the hindrances!
Sahani Nimandra

gen_g wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 09:53 This sounds like a fascinating read, especially in this time when the political spotlight is on America. Thanks for the lovely review, although it's a pity about the hindrances!
Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your engaging review. Whereas I prefer to be nonpartisan and would tend to veer away from political issues unless it's a requirement, I agree that each of us has our own preferences and perspectives.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 22:31 Thank you for your engaging review. Whereas I prefer to be nonpartisan and would tend to veer away from political issues unless it's a requirement, I agree that each of us has our own preferences and perspectives.
Thank you for commenting! Yes, everyone has there own preference. It's better to stay away from it that's my personal opinion.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Political books can be so hard to read if it's not something you're very interested in learning. I'll pass on this book, personally. Politics usually bore me. But I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much and can definitely appreciate an author with experience and research. Thanks for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Sahani Nimandra

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 14:34 Political books can be so hard to read if it's not something you're very interested in learning. I'll pass on this book, personally. Politics usually bore me. But I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much and can definitely appreciate an author with experience and research. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for commenting! I hope my review gave a clear picture.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for a nice and wonderful review on this book that depicts the political strategy of America. It sounds great when it is written by a Senator how is much aware of the political system.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Sahani Nimandra

sanjus wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 10:01 Thanks for a nice and wonderful review on this book that depicts the political strategy of America. It sounds great when it is written by a Senator how is much aware of the political system.
Actually yes, sadly nothing goes as it is. Thank you for commenting!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Political reads are not my cup of tea. But I was intrigued by your candid and insightful review. Thanks. :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 14:20 Political reads are not my cup of tea. But I was intrigued by your candid and insightful review. Thanks. :tiphat:
Thank you for commenting. I'm glad that my review meets your expectations.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”