Review by Nma26 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Nma26 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nma26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

H.M. Irwing’s book, Heartaches 2-Bad Boy Vibes is the continuation of a romance story about Rafe and Anna, who had both been victims of rape in the past. Their fight for a future together is a major backbone of the story.

Other major characters in the book are the gay couple-Pat and Dan. Pat is Anna’s best friend, but he is gay. Rafe is jealous over his close relationship with Anna; and Anna is jealous over Pat ogling Rafe in some instances. The twists and turns this brings to the story, unite them against a common enemy-the Prestons.

A unique thing about this book is that the author uses physical fights as a therapy for anger. He portrays that a physical fight between friends, also gives them the courage to confront their fears. There are 13 chapters in this book, and each told a unique part of the entire story. The author is also very good at describing the emotional turmoil the characters are going through.

A hilarious moment in the book was when Pat compared being in love to the mind being fat, overfed, and unhealthy. This he said was because, the mind was being inflated with too much of the same joyous emotions, rendering it unhealthy. I like this the most. This is because, it made me laugh in the course of reading this book. I also love Suzie’s part in the story. She seemed to be clear-headed and unbiased, especially when analysing what Anna had been through.

I didn’t enjoy reading about Anna’s emotional trauma. The author seemed to concentrate more on Anna’s heartaches than the romance itself. I think he overdid it. My reason for this is because, when you introduce too much emotional trauma in romance, the reader loses sight of the romance in the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because I found a lot of typographical errors in the course of reading the book. It didn’t look like it was properly edited. I also did not give it a 2 because this particular series is interesting.

This book would appeal most to couples who have been victims of rape, betrayals, and emotional traumas in the past. It would also appeal to gay couples. Generally, anyone who is in love or wants to be loved would be interested in this book.

This book would appeal least to anyone who is biased in their views about rape. It would also not appeal to anyone who is against gay marriage. Generally, it would appeal least to people who see love as a weakness, and are not interested in love.

This book would make you appreciate the value of being whole; because it takes walking around with a shattered soul, to know the value of being whole.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nma26's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Good review. It sounds like an interesting novel, but definitely not for me. Sounds like too heavy of a novel, and I prefer light romance novels. Plus the editing issues would bother me a lot!
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Great review. I'm currently reading the book and I find your review insightful
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

This is a great review! I am not usually interested in romance novels, but your description about 'fight' therapy has me intrigued. It' also interesting that both characters have been sexually abused but seem to find some happiness.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

The error was just too much.The fight therapy thing was quite revealing.Thanks for your comments. Hope you enjoy your read.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

Your review is very well said. I did read romance books in the past but not comtemporary such as this. Might dig deeper in its pages over a cup of coffee one of this days.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Thanks dear.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Thank you for this review! I have never liked the romance genre, though it would be fair to say I haven't given it a chance. I think I have always just thought of it as smut and a way to write sex scenes disguised with a poorly written storyline. All that to say, the reviews for this book make me believe that I judge this genre wrongly. How can I know plots are poorly written if I haven't actually read one?

So thank you for your honest review, it has helped me see my judgment towards the genre!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Thank you for the book review. I've seen book reviews on this book before. You explained it really well. I'm still debating on reading. I like that you don't have to read the first book to know what's going on with this one.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I felt like the focus on erotic scenes in this book was too much. I prefer the final book in the series. Nice review though.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

Very interesting review.
I recently reviewed a sci-fi novel from the same author, which also had the character experiencing emotional trauma of rape. I was interested to find that it seems to have been portrayed very differently in the romance novel than in the sci-fi novel (where the emotional turmoil was never explained at all). I think it would have been nice to have a middle ground in both novels, where it was explained but not so that it detracted from the reading.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

The author did a good job describing the emotional turmoil of the victims.Thanks dear.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Thanks for your review. I have read and reviewed this book too and I like how you have discussed several issues I didn't. You have highlighted how you don't like how Irwing has concentrated on Annas' heartaches. This I will disagree with you because that's the reason the author titled the book so. Anyway I enjoyed your review good job 👌.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Dear prospero, though I prefer this series to the last one, I must confess the use of BDSM in the last series was even more erotic.All the same,thanks for your opinion.
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Dear DorcasToo,I am not disputing what you said, but I think he overdid it. Understandably, it was all about heartaches, but it was still a romance story and didn't need all the details.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”