Review by prospero360 -- Our pastor has gone mad again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review by prospero360 -- Our pastor has gone mad again

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our pastor has gone mad again" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again by Elijah Oladimeji revolves around Pastor Job and his experiences leading a church. Most people would think that the life of a pastor is a very easy one. However, Pastor Job's story shows how challenging it can be. Dealing with his personal problems while helping his congregation with their problems was overwhelming at times, but he was often able to do so using two main tools; prayers and faith in God.

Picking up this book, I expected to learn more about some of the struggles pastors face in the church. I also hoped that some of the questions I have about the church, with regards to faith and finance, would be brought up and addressed. However, I was left disappointed by this book.

There were very few things I liked about Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again. I enjoyed the display of faith in God by Pastor Job, especially when things were at the point of falling apart. His story reminds me of Job in the Bible. As a Christian, I found it inspirational and it helped increase my faith. That goes without saying that faith without hard work is an incomplete recipe for achieving success, and it would have been appreciated if the author had illustrated that in this book. I also enjoyed Pastor Job's thoughts on gun and internet laws. I found his proposed solutions to the problems quite interesting.

However, there was so much I didn't like about this book. The title of the book is Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again, but the title on the first page is Pastoring is Not What You Think. This had me very confused, as the latter fit what the book was talking about more than the former. The only point I could make a correlation between the story and the first title was when rumors were spreading among the congregation; that Pastor Job was going mad because he spent time talking to himself.

Furthermore, I didn't like how chapters of the book consisted of full sermons by Pastor Job. Full sermons occupied the bulk of more than two chapters. I could understand the inclusion of the sermon on faith, but the other ones weren't relevant to the story. Part of what makes a good story is the author's ability to make one feel what the characters are going through, and in this area, Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again fails. I found it hard to connect with what Pastor Job was saying a lot of the time. He hardly showed any emotion throughout the story, especially when his wife tested his faith. My interest peaked in the final chapter, where Pastor Job was questioned about the church and money. This is a topic that I have a lot of questions about, and the questioner did well to ask some of these questions. However, the answers I got from Pastor Job were less than satisfactory. The ending of the book was also underwhelming.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I liked a few things about the book, but my dislikes outweigh my likes by far. I would only recommend this book to people that need the inspiration to boost their faith in God. Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again was a huge let down for me.

Our pastor has gone mad again
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

I was thinking about reading this book. Your review has certainly given me second thoughts. The book title just seems so intriguing. Knowing myself, might still read the book out of curiosity.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Seun419 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 12:38 I was thinking about reading this book. Your review has certainly given me second thoughts. The book title just seems so intriguing. Knowing myself, might still read the book out of curiosity.
Thank you for the comment. Have fun bro
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

You say you enjoyed Pastor Job's thoughts on gun and internet laws, may I ask what, more specifically, you found interesting? I ask because that's one part of the book that I could hardly believe I was reading.

Just asking this makes me remember hearing discussions long, long ago of how involved church and religious people should be in politics. Hadn't thought about that for decades.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Amanda Deck wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 20:01 You say you enjoyed Pastor Job's thoughts on gun and internet laws, may I ask what, more specifically, you found interesting? I ask because that's one part of the book that I could hardly believe I was reading.

Just asking this makes me remember hearing discussions long, long ago of how involved church and religious people should be in politics. Hadn't thought about that for decades.
Any social, political, environmental or economic issue addressed in a book is always bound to interest me, regardless of whether I agree with the opinion in the book or not. I enjoyed Pastor Job's thoughts because it led me to ask several questions about the issue. It was the most engaging part of the book for me.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I have reviewed this book and had the same questions as regards how he portrays 'faith'. All the same, Thanks for your review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Weird. So I've seen this book on the review tab under both titles. I wonder what is up with that. I didn't realize the were the same book until reading this review. I'm steering clear of this one, until the author decides what they want to call it for one thing, and makes it a little more informational in topics that would be helpful. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I think this book makes you realise that pastors do have challenges also.Amazing review.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Sincerely,I feel for these pastors.They need all our prayers.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I've seen poor ratings on this book before. I think the title would be confusing if it wasn't the same inside the book. I might still read it. Thanks for the honest review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That"s weird that there's a confusion with the titles. I don't know if I could read a book full of sermons. I would want to just get on with the book. Thank you.
:tiphat:
Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Post by Olaoluwa_oso »

The Faith that pastor job showed can go along way in helping his congregation. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”