Review by Jmteachmom -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by Jmteachmom -- The Cult Next Door

Post by Jmteachmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cult Next Door: A Manhattan Memoir is an informative yet emotional look into the world of cults. This story describes the journey of Elizabeth Burchard’s experience in a cult led by George Sharkman. She is introduced into this world by her mother, Rachael. At the young age of seventeen, Elizabeth is impressionable and looking for something to fulfill her. She attends a therapy session with Mr. Sharkman who promises to help reduce her stress. From that pivotal appointment, Elizabeth spends the next years participating, believing, and recruiting new members for George Sharkman.

How could a mother involve her child in a cult activity? How could someone so intelligent be drawn in to such a strange belief? These questions haunted me as I read. I thought about Elizabeth’s mother and how her life had been filled with gurus and herbal remedies. Rachael was always looking for something to ease her life. Her role in persuasion and condoning activities of the group was something I could not grasp.

Elizabeth was an intelligent young woman, enrolled in college, and had a bright future. Becoming a member of the group was a way for her to feel a part of something. With this intelligence, one must wonder what was it about George Sharkman that made her begin to worship him? How could she give her life’s wages to this man? Why? This was the question reoccurring in my mind as I continued to read.

The details written in this piece are so vivid. The reader learns about the session activities which are appalling. At times I wished I could reach out and shake Elizabeth. I just could not understand how these sessions served to further the belief in George. Emotions of anger, confusion, and utter disappointment ran through me.

Once I finished the book I began to understand that we really have no idea what is going on next door. We must have empathy for the victims of these cunning and manipulative cult leaders. The most interesting fact I learned was that someone who seems normal from the outside, could be the person to destroy your life.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This rating is given for several reasons. The descriptions of events were well written all while conveying her thoughts and feeling so clearly. Grammatical errors were non-existent. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to further their understanding of cults or help those who have been involved in a cult.

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jmteachmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I to found myself questioning and or wondering how could obviously intelligent people become so wrapped in what one person says. Especially with Elizabeth because the whole time her subconscious was screaming that there was something wrong.
Chelsea N. Hackett
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book that has alot to offer. Sounds like you enjoyed the book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:

Post by Jmteachmom »

Thanks! I enjoyed reading this book and learning about something new. My mind cannot wrap around the whole cult thing, but I do have empathy for those involved and rescued from them.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:

Post by Jmteachmom »

chelhack wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 11:48 I to found myself questioning and or wondering how could obviously intelligent people become so wrapped in what one person says. Especially with Elizabeth because the whole time her subconscious was screaming that there was something wrong.
Exactly! I kept thinking if you know it is a sham, why stay so long. I guess I will never understand it, but I am so glad I chose to read this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”