Review by Raya raymond -- Our pastor has gone mad again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Review by Raya raymond -- Our pastor has gone mad again

Post by Raya raymond »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our pastor has gone mad again" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I read the title Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again, I expected a story about a pastors’ life or their point of view on their line of work. Maybe a little insight into how they deal with the pressures of keeping the faith, or being righteous in all they do. Maybe I expected to read about which pastor has gone mad again and why? I expected to feel their joy, struggles, their pain or why their sanity is doubted. All I got instead of all that was, disappointment and boredom. Honestly if I wasn't reading this book as a reviewer, I wouldn’t have continued reading it after the first paragraph.

This book mostly comprises of the author's own political views, occasionally information about the pastor's day. I really don't get why it has the title Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again. I realized it has two titles. The other title was: Pastoring Is Not What You Think, which I think suits it more than Our Pastor Has Gone Mad Again. I was unable to emotionally connect with the pastor; his feelings aren't expressed. One time he has financial problems and his wife is terribly sarcastic about it; the pastor however, doesn't react. He isn't mad or amused or frustrated. It's so hard to tell what he's feeling. The author doesn't give him some human attributes that I think are necessary.

The plot is just horrible. Horrible, and plain boring. It sometimes has huge time gaps like when out of nowhere, the author skips to the next year. Sometimes a weekend lasts for so long, I'm surprised all those events fit in it. It ends with a few unanswered questions which left me more confused. I wasn't even eager to know what happened next, as much as I was confused and annoyed. There was no suspense even with the unanswered questions. This book doesn’t meet expectations.

I think the author should consider changing the title to Pastoring Is Not What You Think. It suits the book better. The cover is intriguing and somehow matches the title of the book, which is not the case for the story. The images on the cover are attention-grabbing, which is what led me to picking this book to review.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars because the plot is boring, the flow is bad; the title doesn't even match the story-line if at all there is one. However, there's a story about the pastor that is not very well told. The cover is very captivating so at least it gets 1. I feel bad for being this harsh. I know it takes a lot to write a book and publish it; I just think this book need some serious work done before it can capture the attention of its audience. Of course I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I can’t imagine that there’s anyone would want to get as bored and confused as I got.

Our pastor has gone mad again
View: on Bookshelves

Like Raya raymond's review? Post a comment saying so!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I pretty much had similar expectations as you before I read and reviewed this book. I ended up just as disappointed as you are. I have seen a lot of negative reviews on this book.
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

prospero360 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 10:03 I pretty much had similar expectations as you before I read and reviewed this book. I ended up just as disappointed as you are. I have seen a lot of negative reviews on this book.
The book's really not that well written. Thanks for reading my review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This sounds like a frustrating read. I appreciate your candid and honest review. Thanks !
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 14:04 This sounds like a frustrating read. I appreciate your candid and honest review. Thanks !
You're welcome.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Are you a christain Raya? If you are, and you are an active member in your Church, you would appreciate the story.I enjoyed the story and it had less editing issues than most books I have read.All the same, you have your opinion.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

This sounds disappointing. I'm a Christian and I would feel the same way. Good thing it was a short book. You had great points. When you mentioned political views to me right there that was a turn off. Thanks for the honest review.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”