Review by vschossow -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
vschossow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vschossow.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by vschossow -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by vschossow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is a colorful book about a boy name Sigfried. He has very colorful socks and they all smell terrible, but all in different ways. Some of the smells are known, while some smells are unknown, as are the stains that give the awful smell.

Sigfried begins to investigate the smells of the socks. He realizes it could be other things that are making the stinky smells. He goes into detail describing his book and what has happened to it. Sigried is trying to establish if the smell is from his socks. It becomes very apparent that he has done more than read his book. The story is more about what has happened to the book itself than the socks and their story. The socks connect the beginning and the end of the book while traveling through the book of smells and stains.

The main character Sigfried is a very ambiguous character. It is hard to tell if he is a child or even his approximate age. This causes some confusion between the different smells that he encounters. Some of the smells are age appropriate for the young reader, where others may be misunderstood. One example in the book, would be misunderstood by some adults.

There are far more age appropriate smells that would have made this book more enjoyable. This caused a disconnect while reading the book and my rating for this book. The thought of, “How does this work in a children’s book?” kept coming up as I was reading.

In a backwards way, this book reiterated the need for cleanliness and neatness. The book preached the importance of not spreading germs and not finding humor in bodily functions. If the ending would have come back around with a message of taking pride in hygiene and cleanliness, my rating would have been higher.
I rate this book 2 out of 4. The way the author uses colors, patterns and rhymes makes this book so much fun while incorporating learning. The illustrations in this book, are an exciting use of illustrated drawings with pictures of the real-life belongings, like a hose or potato. The interesting choices of words and the font make the story move across the pages. However, some of the reasons why Siegfried’s socks are smelly take things too far. This book went from cute to gross very quickly. Because of this, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks would not be a top pick for me to read.

I rate this book 2 out of 4. The way the author uses colors, patterns and rhymes makes this book so much fun while incorporating learning. The illustrations in this book, are an exciting use of illustrated drawings with pictures of the real-life belongings, like a hose or potato. The interesting choices of words and the font make the story move across the pages. However, some of the reasons why Siegfried’s socks are smelly take things too far. This book went from cute to gross very quickly. Because of this, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks would not be a top pick for me to read.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like vschossow's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”