Review by Zvjezdana Sever -- If life stinks get your hea...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Zvjezdana Sever
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zvjezdana-sever.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Review by Zvjezdana Sever -- If life stinks get your hea...

Post by Zvjezdana Sever » 30 Jul 2018, 21:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With the captivating title, If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But’s: A No-Nonsense Guide to Happiness and Success, author Mark L. Wdowiak embarks on a simple-to-follow process toward common pursuits of happiness and success. Mr. Wdowiak’s advice is that personal or professional prosperity is achievable by taking charge of your own life.

Mr. Wdowiak laid out his strategy in three steps: the crawling stage, the walking stage, and the running stage. This idea is a metaphor for human life; as we grow and learn how to crawl, to walk and run similarly, we can learn how to take charge of our own lives. Symbolically speaking, when we learn how to crawl we try to get a better grasp on our decision-making process. Helpful to this process is shifting the focus from our “perceived weaknesses” to our own strengths instead. Recognizing your unique strengths and talents is the first step to help you take the responsibility for your life and carry out the crawling stage.

I like the author’s intent to encourage the reader to reach beyond his mere potential. It is true that in our present-day educational system, a definition of success is the fulfillment of standardized test requirements which often reduces the person’s ability for creativity. In Mr. Wdowiak’s opinion, an inability to leave the unhappy present state of mind is due to fear of the unknown, inability to reach out of the box. To achieve happiness, he recommends to the reader to take control of his own thoughts (walking stage) and after taking an action upon them (running stage). Although I agree that positive thinking and acting upon it can be very helpful, I do not believe that this formula can be a remedy to everyone’s unhappiness.

Let me explain. The three stages of a life-changing process are only workable if there are available opportunities. For example, if you work as a construction worker but dream to become a developer, chances are that this is not going to be a small feat. First, you will spend your long days under the sun, as required by the building protocols. It may also be important that you reach a daily quota, which will put you in the position of needing to nail a lot more boards together per hour than you normally would have. After a working day, how much time will you have to research steps needed to take to become a developer? How much money will you be able to save to get a down payment on your business? The very situation that we find ourselves in is often constraining and it is hard to imagine how positive thoughts could break those limitations.

This work is written in an upbeat and supportive manner, using a direct speech, and addressing the reader throughout the book. The author gives the reader an opportunity to engage and make a commitment to change by writing their initials on each of the chapters. That style produces a hands-on guide to self-improvement. Interestingly, this work heavily relies on the ideas of other self-help authors like Dr. Richard Carlson and Dr. Wayne Dyer, resulting in a missed opportunity for originality. For this reason, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The targeted audience for this book are students and young professionals who are considering a change in their career focus.

If life stinks get your head outta your buts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zvjezdana Sever's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kalin Adi
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: Animals teach us life by Nabi Gueye

Post by Kalin Adi » 11 Aug 2018, 20:26

I don't like the title of the book, but it seems it has good ideas that, put into practice, can help the person to take a better control of his/her life. Still, I agree with you. Much more in life is needed to help most people to become happy. Thanks for the nice review!

Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:

Post by Zvjezdana Sever » 19 Aug 2018, 07:14

Thank you!

Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:

Post by Zvjezdana Sever » 19 Aug 2018, 07:15

Kalin Adi wrote: ↑
11 Aug 2018, 20:26
I don't like the title of the book, but it seems it has good ideas that, put into practice, can help the person to take a better control of his/her life. Still, I agree with you. Much more in life is needed to help most people to become happy. Thanks for the nice review!
Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”