Review by Laura Bach -- A Second, Less Capable Head

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Review by Laura Bach -- A Second, Less Capable Head

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Second, Less Capable Head" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a story from the stalker’s point of view? Or read about what it's like in the mind of the mentally ill? You probably didn’t, but if you want to, I will present you this great book I recently read. Here we go.

A Second, Less Capable, Head: And Other Rogue Stories by James Hanna is a collection of nineteen short stories. The stories are bizarre, grotesque, and sometimes humorous. We travel through the minds of the outlaws, sociopaths, and other troubled individuals. The author has personal experience as a probation officer in San Francisco, a prison counselor in Indiana, and an adventurer in Australia. From his experiences, a series of characters and situations come to life through his stories. They are memorable and stay with you long after you finish the book.

The first story bears the name of the whole book. You probably can imagine what this one is about. Virgil Ploughright, a Tea Party activist, finds out he is growing a second head. The normal reaction is to want to get rid of it, of course, but the doctor refuses to cut it because morality tells him it would be murder. It’s unexpected that Virgil’s girlfriend, Trixie, starts to get attached to his new head. The first story was my favorite one. It just made me think about the problem with a second head like it is something ordinary. I didn’t realize how bizarre it is to think about the moral consequences of another head.

Hanna’s characters have something unique. The probation officer, Tom Hemmings, appears in more than one story and is probably inspired by the author. Besides him, there are many unusual characters. Some stories have stalkers, schizophrenics, aliens, and drug addicts. One particular love story caught my attention. I wanted a happy ending for the lovers, but then I realized the story is told from the stalker’s point of view. Reading this, I thought it was an ordinary person because the protagonist usually is in stories. But in Hanna’s stories, we sometimes get the stalker’s perspective, or the schizophrenic’s. It is wonderful to experience that many perspectives in a single book.

The endings have something special. They are unexpected, sometimes shocking. Don’t wait for a happy ending, because it's not the right book. It has strange situations you don’t usually find yourself in, like a rape victim who confronts her assailant, or a family who takes an alien guest in their home.

Some of the stories are based around famous Nietzsche quotes. They highlight the author’s preference for introspection and philosophy. One story that uses such quotes is Fruits, the fifth story. Here we have Molly, a single woman who goes on a date with a man she met online. The cab driver warns her about her date, Jeb Judson, but she is intrigued. The author deals with subjects like Nietzsche’s Superman and the monstrosity of humans. He makes you think he knows what is going on inside the minds of deranged people.

The writing was exceptional. It engages you in the stories, whether you want it or not. I saw stories narrated in the first person, third person, and most unusual, second person. Second person narration usually appears in letters, but here it’s not a letter. It often has explicit language. For that reason, and because some scenes are disturbing, I recommend this book only to adults who like dark stories. I also recommend it to people who are passionate about psychology and the dark wonders of the human mind.

I found a numerous amount of grammar mistakes and typos, mostly repeated words and missing commas. But the thing that confuses me the most is the title. On the cover, I see that the title is written with a comma before the word 'head'. However, there shouldn’t be a comma. I found places where it didn’t have, for example, in the Bookshelves. The first story, the one with the same name as the title, doesn’t have a comma before 'head' as well.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a unique collection of dark stories that deserves to be read. The stories stay with you, and I feel like that is the point of a book. Unfortunately, the grammar mistakes did bother me, and they forced me to take a star off.

A Second, Less Capable Head
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Laura Bach's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book sounds interesting and entertaining. But too bad to hear about editing issues. Hope the author will remove these errors in next publication.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

What an extraordinary sounding book. I don't normally go for short stories but these sound fascinating. Your description caught my attention, and I like how the stories are told from unexpected perspectives. Really great review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I read this one too and had pretty much the same take on it. Hanna seems like a very talented writer. I loved his quirky characters, the dark humor, and then unexpected twists. But there were too many mechanical errors for the four-star rating. I enjoyed this review!
Laura Ungureanu

Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 23:30 This book sounds interesting and entertaining. But too bad to hear about editing issues. Hope the author will remove these errors in next publication.
Yes, it is unfortunately for a great book like this one to have so many errors. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!
Laura Ungureanu

Julie Green wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 01:25 What an extraordinary sounding book. I don't normally go for short stories but these sound fascinating. Your description caught my attention, and I like how the stories are told from unexpected perspectives. Really great review.
Thank you! You should try it. The perspectives are unique.
Laura Ungureanu

Dael Reader wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 08:17 I read this one too and had pretty much the same take on it. Hanna seems like a very talented writer. I loved his quirky characters, the dark humor, and then unexpected twists. But there were too many mechanical errors for the four-star rating. I enjoyed this review!
Thank you very much! I don't know why isn't everyone mentioning the numerous errors, I am glad someone else was disturbed by them. I will check out your review.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Your opening paragraph completely grabbed my attention since I've never read a book from a stalker's point of view before. Sounds really interesting! Thanks for the awesome review :)
Laura Ungureanu

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 12:15 Your opening paragraph completely grabbed my attention since I've never read a book from a stalker's point of view before. Sounds really interesting! Thanks for the awesome review :)
Thank you! I hope you will like the book.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Awesome review, detailed as well as insightful. I have been thinking of taking this one up, but I am not sure if I can cope with such dark humor. I read an excerpt containing the first story, though. Really liked its bizarre plot!
Laura Ungureanu

Shrabastee wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 01:28 Awesome review, detailed as well as insightful. I have been thinking of taking this one up, but I am not sure if I can cope with such dark humor. I read an excerpt containing the first story, though. Really liked its bizarre plot!
Thank you! I really enjoyed the first story. If you don't like dark humor, you might not like it as much as I did. But I promise you it has some good parts.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I like the authors idea of using his personal experiences with mentally ill persons and crafting them into the characters in this book and make a bunch of collective stories packed together.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

A little bit of rogue, psychopathy, and dark humor make a shift from the usual genres I go for. Your marvelous review convinced me to go for this book. Thanks for the enlightening insight.
Laura Ungureanu

sanjus wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 12:39 I like the authors idea of using his personal experiences with mentally ill persons and crafting them into the characters in this book and make a bunch of collective stories packed together.
Yes, every author uses some of his personal experiences, some more than others. I guess it gives a realistic view of the stories. Thank you!
Laura Ungureanu

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 15:06 A little bit of rogue, psychopathy, and dark humor make a shift from the usual genres I go for. Your marvelous review convinced me to go for this book. Thanks for the enlightening insight.
I hope you enjoy this one. Have a great reading day! Thank you! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”