Review by Ronel_Steyn -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by Ronel_Steyn -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni is a superhero that not only saves humanity from evil villains as all superheroes do, but also loves to do ordinary tasks. The little tasks that we take for granted and sometimes find mundane. In this colourful book, we meet Toni and see some of the wonderful things he does. From playing with friends to helping around the house, Toni shows us what being a superhero is all about.

What I liked most about this book was how simple and colourful it was. It is perfectly suited for the intended readers. Most pages contain only one sentence that allows the reader to focus on the illustrations on each page. The sentences were straight to the point and easily understandable. This is so important when it comes to children and exposing them to books and reading. The pictures were well illustrated and vibrant. Each sentence tied in perfectly with what was on the corresponding page. The length of the book was just right therefore there was no opportunity to become distracted. I also liked the self-confidence that Toni is displayed with in the drawings. This is an important part in being a superhero as well as for growing children.

There really wasn’t anything that I disliked about this book. I didn’t find any spelling mistakes or grammar errors. There were no distractions from the main point of the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I read it to my four-year-old son. He is crazy about superheroes at this age. With the sentences being short and to the point, I was able to easily translate them so that he could understand the association with the pictures. He loved the colourful pictures and joined in with turning the pages. What made it even more special was that I was able to highlight tasks that he had done in the past to compare it with Toni’s tasks. I was able to show my son that he was my superhero and that the things he does around the house is noticed and appreciated.

I would recommend this book to all readers. Toni The Superhero by R.D. Base is ideal for children aged 5 to 8 as well as children who can’t read yet. I would even recommend this book to mature readers. Books like these give parents the opportunity to help show their children how wonderful they really are as individuals and that they should be proud of the little tasks they accomplish.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Ronel_Steyn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Toni clearly sets a heroic example in this colourful book! Thanks for an interesting review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Toni is a superhero that not only saves humanity from evil villains as all superheroes do but also loves to do ordinary tasks. The little tasks that we take for granted and sometimes find mundane.
As our world tends to be busier and more fast-paced over the years, there has also been an increasing need to prioritise more important tasks over the others in our respective lists. How important a task is would always depend on our unique circumstances and preferences. However, we don't have to do the huge tasks to be a hero or heroine; at times, we only need to "do the little things with great love," especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Toni is indeed "terrific"! Good to know that you could enjoy this book with your son, and that he could be motivated by Toni's activities. Thanks for the well-written review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, I like that your son was abke to identify with Toni and you were able to reinforce some positive attributes through this. Guess the book serves its purpose. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I read it to my four-year-old son. He is crazy about superheroes at this age. With the sentences being short and to the point, I was able to easily translate them so that he could understand the association with the pictures. He loved the colourful pictures and joined in with turning the pages. What made it even more special was that I was able to highlight tasks that he had done in the past to compare it with Toni’s tasks. I was able to show my son that he was my superhero and that the things he does around the house is noticed and appreciated.
Thank you for sharing your real-life experience with the book. We can all make our appreciations but you really tested it out! Sharing this enriches very much your already great review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I like how you shared that the book suited your four-year-old son and that you compared Toni's superhero acts with your son's. I can envision your superhero son's smiling face when you read the book to him. It is also interesting that you noticed Toni's confidence through the pictures.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

I see you translated the book for your son, so that means English is not your home language and based on this deduction I must commend you on a fantastic review of a book I will probably not read :P
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I like the practicality of this book in everyday life. I also appreciate the fact that you experimented with it on your son. I have once done the same with a book I read to my class of 6-7-year olds. It's really important that we help the children feel special and loved with everything that they do. Thanks for a fabulous review!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”