Review by tendwa -- Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tendwa
Favorite Book: The last Assassination
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tendwa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by tendwa -- Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by tendwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Going Gone" by Abraham Lopez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Going Gone by Abraham Lopez is a collection of 12 enthralling stories put together in a bigger and smaller picture approach. The bigger picture is seen from the full book’s view, while the smaller picture is captured in the individual stories. The bigger picture if I may is about a well-known leader in the Middle East called Mr Saiid, this leader is respected by both friends and foes. Unimaginably he is assassinated. The effect of Mr Saiid’s assassination reverberates in the entire book. The smaller picture begins with the assassination of Mr Saiid by a former American Spy.

The assassination of Mr Saiid although done by a former American spy, this did not matter; the main thing was the spy’s reference had the name America within it. All the anger is directed at the US. Within the US, it is hard to tell the motive of those people who masterminded Mr Saiid’s assassination. According to the way things were unfolding it was clear the mastermind of Mr Saiid’s assassination had a plan and that plan was going on perfectly; a weapon of mass destruction had found its way into the hands of a terrorist group; the US government was at the brink of collapse.

All enemies united against the US, terrorists, Russia, China and some self-serving politicians. The president is assassinated at the supposedly safest place, Camelot’s corridor. New York is nuked; looting gangs take charge, and their main targets Hollywood Hills and Bel-Air. Where is the National Guard to restore order? That’s a good question.

What I liked the most about this book was the passion and emotion attached to what is going on at every point. Man! You literary get goose pimples when reading it. If you are in New York or L.A you will be forgiven to put this book down for a while, switch on the telly or step out just to be sure what you are reading is not real. I liked the amount of vocabulary used in this book; this book is a sure way of picking up some new cool English terms and memorable quotes.

What I didn’t like about this book was the number of certain curse words used, these two particular curse words (I'm not naming them) one has been used 64 times and another has been used 65 times! For a book this size I think a few of these curse words (if necessary) could do, but sixty something? That number is way too high.

The story “Snow Mesa” seemed like it had been parachuted into the book, in my view it didn’t quite have the overall book’s theme; what was going on in the US. One story that flied over my head was “The Arch, the Dream” I honestly didn’t make out what it was about, but I’m still trying. The story “The Arch, the Dream” felt like when someone starts daydreaming next to you, totally ignoring you, here I felt left out by the writer. Even though this is an emotion filled book, something that was almost (yes almost except for two cases Little John (Juanito) in “Snow Messa” and Jessie in “Jessie and the LARGOnauts”) predictable was whenever someone’s life tipped, it went all the way to the ground (if someone got into a dangerous situation of some kind, there was no chance of surviving).

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, it is professionally edited and I did not find any typo. The idea of using totally different characters in all the stories makes it a bit hard to follow though. I recommend this book to a Literature, Poetry, English, Philosophy or a Critical Thinking class or Professor. This book can form very interesting discussion topics about societal issues. People in the Political or Ruling class can also benefit from this book, it points out results of poorly made leadership decisions. Before I forget, Software Developers can also enjoy reading this book, apart from a very interesting view presented in this book on AI and a snippet of C++, this book has been put together in a software like design, stories (modules) the full book (a program).

Going Gone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like tendwa's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”