Review by Sunnyroyish -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Re: Review by Sunnyroyish -- Gringo

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Jgideon wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 06:01 I like the detailed summary of the book in the review. The story is inspiring and full of lessons for the people who might have taken the path of drug abuse and trafficking. I am happy the author did not shy away from giving his story. Great review.
Thanks for your appreciation. I would improve my review further in the future.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds very intriguing, especially because it’s a true story. I don’t condone anything he did and I hope he’s fully reformed now.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Jgideon wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 06:01 I like the detailed summary of the book in the review. The story is inspiring and full of lessons for the people who might have taken the path of drug abuse and trafficking. I am happy the author did not shy away from giving his story. Great review.
Yeah it's really a great book. The author did live a life. Thanks for your reply.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 04:37 [Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo: My on the Edge as an International Fugitive is an amazing autobiography that revolves around the life of a former drug lord and international fugitive named Dan 'Tito' Davis. Dan was born and raised in South Dakota with his family. While in high school, he became a jockey to earn some money. But soon his greed for money lured him into the business of a drug called white cross. He began to manufacture and export these drugs with the help of some friends and became the biggest white cross supplier in the world by the age of 24. Later he got into the business of cocaine and was apprehended and sent to prison. After his release, circumstances led him again to the wrong path. This time it was marijuana. After his bail, he decided to run far away from his home.

While on the run, Dan first went to Mexico to start a new life. He acquired a fake ID with the help of a loyal friend and also learned a little bit of Spanish. Later, he married a beautiful woman and settled at the beach of El Yaque. He was spending a great time with his wife, but fate had prepared something unexpected for him. He got caught after 15 years and served 10 years in the prison. After his release from the prison, he published this book.
Thanks for the review. I was wondering why the book was called Gringo and now I know Dan ran away from his drug crimes to start a new life in Mexico. It must be very difficult to get a job after imprisonment.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

LV2R wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 09:28
Sunnyroyish wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 04:37 [Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo: My on the Edge as an International Fugitive is an amazing autobiography that revolves around the life of a former drug lord and international fugitive named Dan 'Tito' Davis. Dan was born and raised in South Dakota with his family. While in high school, he became a jockey to earn some money. But soon his greed for money lured him into the business of a drug called white cross. He began to manufacture and export these drugs with the help of some friends and became the biggest white cross supplier in the world by the age of 24. Later he got into the business of cocaine and was apprehended and sent to prison. After his release, circumstances led him again to the wrong path. This time it was marijuana. After his bail, he decided to run far away from his home.

While on the run, Dan first went to Mexico to start a new life. He acquired a fake ID with the help of a loyal friend and also learned a little bit of Spanish. Later, he married a beautiful woman and settled at the beach of El Yaque. He was spending a great time with his wife, but fate had prepared something unexpected for him. He got caught after 15 years and served 10 years in the prison. After his release from the prison, he published this book.
Thanks for the review. I was wondering why the book was called Gringo and now I know Dan ran away from his drug crimes to start a new life in Mexico. It must be very difficult to get a job after imprisonment.
Thanks for your reply.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

What a wild life 'Tito' has lived! Selling drugs took its toll when he wanted to live a normal life, too bad. I'm not much a fan of this type of stories, but the inclusion of Spanish words call my attention, for I speak that language. Thanks for the review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

You provided a very brief summary of such a convoluted tale! Thanks for the review, I believe the points you elaborated will help the readers decide whether or not to take this book up. I agree that this book was very rich in contents, I enjoyed it thoroughly. While I cannot see his drug dealings in a good light, his character seemed to had an honest streak in it, won't you say?
P. S. What do you think about the chapter on his experiences in India? To me it was horrifying and utterly shameful, as I have mentioned in my review of this book.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 07:40 You provided a very brief summary of such a convoluted tale! Thanks for the review, I believe the points you elaborated will help the readers decide whether or not to take this book up. I agree that this book was very rich in contents, I enjoyed it thoroughly. While I cannot see his drug dealings in a good light, his character seemed to had an honest streak in it, won't you say?
P. S. What do you think about the chapter on his experiences in India? To me it was horrifying and utterly shameful, as I have mentioned in my review of this book.
The reason I wrote a short summary is because I didn't want to spoil too much of the plot. And I think the author made up some of the incidents for the sake of the story while he was in India with his wife. Though I can be wrong. However it is also true that the condition of women in our country is degrading at a great pace. It is so sad to witness rapes in a country where we once considered women as Devis.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

It's hard to believe that this is a true story. I have so many questions like how is he not in jail right now or how it felt to be on the run for all those years and what events led to his arrest and escape. Well written review.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Oulababe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 16:24 It's hard to believe that this is a true story. I have so many questions like how is he not in jail right now or how it felt to be on the run for all those years and what events led to his arrest and escape. Well written review.
If you are not satisfied with my review, please read the book. It's amazing.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 14:35
Shrabastee wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 07:40 You provided a very brief summary of such a convoluted tale! Thanks for the review, I believe the points you elaborated will help the readers decide whether or not to take this book up. I agree that this book was very rich in contents, I enjoyed it thoroughly. While I cannot see his drug dealings in a good light, his character seemed to had an honest streak in it, won't you say?
The reason I wrote a short summary is because I didn't want to spoil too much of the plot. And I think the author made up some of the incidents for the sake of the story while he was in India with his wife. Though I can be wrong. However it is also true that the condition of women in our country is degrading at a great pace. It is so sad to witness rapes in a country where we once considered women as Devis.
And you succeeded in summarizing all the ups and downs in the book in such a concise manner! That's great!
I don't know, I personally felt that the incidents in the train were probably exaggerated, but I could believe the obscenities he claims his wife had faced. It's a shame actually!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 06:15
And you succeeded in summarizing all the ups and downs in the book in such a concise manner! That's great!
I don't know, I personally felt that the incidents in the train were probably exaggerated, but I could believe the obscenities he claims his wife had faced. It's a shame actually!
It is really a shame. I think the problem is proper education (not maths or physics but ethics and morality). People are doing horrible things because they are not raised in a proper way. Either too much appeasement is spoiling them or too much negligence is making them bad. The major responsibility of making a good human being is on parents. I think if they are dedicated, no child is going to turn bad. Please correct me if I said something wrong.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 06:42
Shrabastee wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 06:15

It is really a shame. I think the problem is proper education (not maths or physics but ethics and morality). People are doing horrible things because they are not raised in a proper way. Either too much appeasement is spoiling them or too much negligence is making them bad. The major responsibility of making a good human being is on parents. I think if they are dedicated, no child is going to turn bad. Please correct me if I said something wrong.
I agree with you on this point. The problem persists because the habit of objectifying women seems to be ingrained in some men. I have personal experience with certain people who are apparently very well-educated and well-raised, but their disrespect for women is apalling. So I think you are right in saying that it is not the lack of formal education but the lack of proper moral values that lead them to this!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What drives people to sin again? Is it good to test someone just to prove a point? What if we are the cause of someone's tipping point towards committing infractions again? Will proving we're "better" than someone else make us better persons in the truest sense or is that just pointing out one's own vanity, ego or pride which are sins in themselves? More often than not, it's easier to judge others and fail to look at ourselves. At times, such testy and judgmental attitude cause more harm than good in others we test or judge and the lives they are entwined with. Things could even turn more cyclical, unending, paradoxical, problematic, and convoluted unless we put a stop to what needs to be ceased as well.

Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Espie wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 18:40 What drives people to sin again? Is it good to test someone just to prove a point? What if we are the cause of someone's tipping point towards committing infractions again? Will proving we're "better" than someone else make us better persons in the truest sense or is that just pointing out one's own vanity, ego or pride which are sins in themselves? More often than not, it's easier to judge others and fail to look at ourselves. At times, such testy and judgmental attitude cause more harm than good in others we test or judge and the lives they are entwined with. Things could even turn more cyclical, unending, paradoxical, problematic, and convoluted unless we put a stop to what needs to be ceased as well.

Thank you for your insightful review.
It's true that situations can turn a man into a devil. It's not always in our control. Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”