Review by Kelly Kenrick -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelly Kenrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-kenrick.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Review by Kelly Kenrick -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Kelly Kenrick »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Small Change" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Small Change is a book about a family falling apart. The husband, on the surface a successful businessman, and his wife, who works for a credit agency/welfare office, find their lives drifting apart because of secrets. Izzy and Jim seem to be a typical family in Scotland, more successful than some, but happy nonetheless. Then a client walks into Izzy's office and turns her world upside down. And Jim's successful business may not be as successful as he wishes.

The two worlds collide over football. Jim has a contract with the Rangers club and Sean is trying to uncover problems within the club and how it's run. And Jim has another secret, one that connects him to Sean and his family; one that he can't tell.

The author tells the story simply, matter-of-factly; a series of events that cause a domino effect. I thought it was well written. She doles out the hints to fill in the blanks surrounding the story quite well. The relationship that develops between Izzy and her client ends up falling into familiar territory. I actually liked Jim's character more in a lot of ways because he, being basically the backbone of the story, changes and develops the most.

Hidden within the story is Izzy and Jim's son. We don't know or learn a lot about him, and I think that the author could have developed him a bit more. I'm not saying that he needed to become a major part of the story, but his reactions to his parents and what they were going through might have added a bit to the story. As well, his reaction to the subplot of the book, that of the death of a football fan, would have added to the tension of the book.

I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.. My rating is based on the fact that I could put down the book and walk away from it for several days without the need to find out what was happening next; but when I came back to it I was still interested in what was happening, why it was happening, and how it would play out. I have not decided whether it would be a book which I would put into the category of: need to re-read because I liked it so much. I would say that it would appeal to people who may not have a lot of free time to read, so it's easy to come back to when they have the time.

I found the book clean; I didn't notice any editorial errors that I can recall.

Small Change
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelly Kenrick's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”