Review by topdan30 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review by topdan30 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by topdan30 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater is an historical fiction with well-known historical characters. This book is the first of a trilogy. It is about 302 pages and 38 chapters in all.

The book started in 1941 with Lieutenant James Munro (Jamie), who was part of the army unit fighting the pro-Nazi Vichy French in Syria and Lebanon, set out to locate enemy’s position and their coordinate for an air strike. He got pinned down by enemies machine-gun and was saved by Corporal Jack O’Brien (Jacko) and his sense of direction. Jacko, a half Warramunga, also saved Jamie after being hit by a friendly fire by carrying him on his shoulder to a hospital.

After the end of the war, Jamie and Jacko were deployed to Cairo in Egypt as part of an intelligence operation and liaising with MI6 operatives. Their Job was to infiltrate German intelligence operations, which involves detecting, apprehending, neutralizing and when necessary eliminating any German agents in contact with Rommel’s Afrika Korps. They partnered with prostitutes and belly dancers as they spy on the German agents. While in Cairo, they also got involved in an investigation of a series of related rape and murder. Fortunately, Jacko fell in love right in the midst of their operation in Cairo. The story continues as they rise in rank and got deployed to Australia.

The characters in this book were created with precision and details which made them real and believable. Every character has it details comprehensive enough and none of the characters looks out of place in this book. The author did justice to the descriptive aspect of this book. He described various aspects of their missions, environment, individuals, scenes, and even mood of the characters.

There were numerous aspects of this book I fell in love with. I loved the spicing up of the book with French words in their conversation, the humor present in the book that made me laugh out loud all through the reading, the suspense that got me attached to the book right from the start, the introduction of history details that left me updated and the introduction of cultures that got me entertained.

From the title of the book, you will assume it is a book filled with numerous war details. The book offers a different approach. The book is more about spying, eliminating, and tracking down of criminals. I will be recommending this book to lovers of historical fictions. Will also encourage lovers of a good storyline, humorous book and educative book to have a read and will not be disappointed.

I rate The Warramunga’s War 4 out of 4 stars. I am looking forward to reading the remaining book in the series.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like topdan30's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

I like stories about the military. Quite unfortunate the stories are also accompanied by war stories.

Greg did a great job creating imaginary scenes in the reader's mind with the help of James and Jack.

Well developed story and educative as well.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I really don't like stories of war.Maybe I might glance through it.Thanks for the review.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I am glad you enjoyed the book.I 'm not sure I might read it though.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

I'm really intimidated by the length of this book! You are right that I initially assumed it was entirely about war, so I wasn't too interested. I am, however, interested in the spying aspects. Thanks for this review!
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

Military stories aren't really my thing, but this sounds to be a lot more than that.I may actually give it a read. Thank you for the helpful review!
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

I love historical fiction, but have never read one about a war. Are there graphic scenes described? I'm not very keen about blood and gore.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”