Review by Eileen R -- Invisible Me by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Review by Eileen R -- Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Eileen R »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Invisible Me" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone at one time has wished to have a superpower. Some wish for enhanced strength others invisibility, but it remains a dream. This book describes the story of a person who gets to experience possessing one. Invisible Me is a fantasy romance novel by H.M Irwing regarding a young woman who becomes invisible.

Freddie Lynch, also known as Fatty Leech, has constantly struggled with weight issues all her life. She has no other friends except Kyle Lykin, who is also an outcast. Although she has never dated before, she has a crush on Edwin Carr, her best friend’s cousin. Freddie is determined to gain his attention, so she decides to lose weight. To accomplish her goal, she decides to experiment with different diets. However, she accidentally mixes her diet shake with one of her father’s chemical brews and ends up turning invisible. This leads to her disappearing off the face of the earth and cutting off all contact with others. One year down the line, she ends up meeting Edwin Carr who has tragically lost his fiancée in an accident. This leads to her venturing out into the world, providing a route to various adventures.

The beginning was quite exciting and had me laughing at the humor. However, it quickly went downhill from there. We had a compelling story with fascinating characters but with one glaring problem, there was a lack of proper editing. There were many spelling mistakes, incorrect punctuation, run-on sentences, and changing tenses throughout the text. The errors were so glaring and numerous, that as a reader I could not concentrate on the story.

I was under the impression that this was a story of a plump girl with body issues learning to accept herself. This was not the case, as the author ignored it after the first few chapters. However, her invisibility inexplicably caused her to lose weight. I was hoping for a story that encouraged body positivity and healthy ways of losing weight. Instead, all I got was a magic solution to the “problem" and a pat ending.

I was quite mystified as to when exactly Edwin fell in love with Freddie. One minute he was helping her acclimatize to life on the outside, the next he was lusting after her. There was also a significant age gap between them. Typically, I would not mind this if the author had properly addressed it. In this case, the book was silent on the age gap throughout the novel until the last two chapters. Unfortunately, it was not really discussed and just brushed over. I rate this book one out of four stars because I cannot recommend it to anyone. It contains too many editorial mistakes and requires another round of proofreading.

Invisible Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eileen R's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

What a pity. The story line seems to start off with so much promise but winds up becoming such a downer. I too am a very sensitive reader and I get easily distracted with incorrect grammar or wrong punctuation, so definitely this would make for a frustrating read for me. However the fact that the perceived plot keeps changing as the story progresses is what just disappoints me the most. You start off thinking the book is about weight loss only for it to become a magical fantasy that ends up as a wide-age-gap romance...how do you even connect with that?
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The story seems like it's not connecting. It's like two different stories. so, poor!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP

Post by Eileen R »

I also felt it was a pity that the story was not connecting as the story has so much potential.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a disappointment! There are too many issues with this book that I have to skip it. Thanks for the eye-opening review.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP

Post by Eileen R »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:57 What a disappointment! There are too many issues with this book that I have to skip it. Thanks for the eye-opening review.
Your welcome, I am glad my review was of some help.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I have to agree with you, this book had weak plot and weak romance, many errors and I got confused many times. Yet I think it was fun as an idea and I understand that it was a soft romance novel. Thank you for your review! Keep up the good work!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”