Review by TashaCrispin -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
TashaCrispin
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by TashaCrispin -- Gringo

Post by TashaCrispin » 27 Jul 2018, 19:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read non-fiction and stopped believing it's real for a minute? Well, I have. Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive is the true story of Dan “Tito” Davis. This action-packed real-life story was a page-turner worth my eye discomfort. Yeah, I didn't let go my Ipad until I was done.

This story covers the entire life of Dan Tito fairly. He takes us through his childhood where he comes across as really hardworking and focused. He participated in horse jockeying that made him some cash and from then, he wanted to earn more money as time went by. He started selling a legal drug from highschool and later switched to illegal like cocaine and marijuana. It all went well at first until he was ratted out falsely by someone he saw like a friend. Instead of spending all his life in jain, he opted to make a run to Latin America. The thrills that came with this forced adventure brought all kinds of feelings and experience in his life. It was never the same again.

Who thought I'll ever live a drug-filled story? I didn't think this book was for me at first but I eventually changed my mind because it was non-fiction. I fell in love with the book from page one. I was o the edge of my seat the entire time, getting lost like it was a fictional story. I loved Dan's love stories most. They depicted a soft part of him that was always hoping for love.

In many non-fiction books, the stories are motivational and inspiring. They entail the mistakes people have done while in search for who they are. This book was different though. It felt like a thrilling fictional story and as much as it wasn't an entirely righteous life, it has taught me a lot. There is a lot of reward for honesty. Dan was an honest person unless he had no option but to lie. This made it easy for people to understand his stand and respect him. Drug lords that were extremely dangerous respected doing business with him at his very young age.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the many grammatical errors, I'll sometimes have to go back and read a sentence twice to know what it exactly means. This was a bit distracting to my flow. Anyone who loves a thrilling life story would like this book a lot. However, there is quite some violence that may not be appealing if one is repulsed by such. Writers should take a look at this book. The characters and plot itself would be a great inspiration for a fictional book.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TashaCrispin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”