Review by silas254 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
silas254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silas254.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by silas254 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by silas254 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Heartaches 3: Bad Boy Vibes by H.M Irwing is the third book in the Heartaches series. The book majorly talks about Anna Simmons a student at a Vocational College and Luis Rafe, a Soldier who has just made it back from Syria. Both have had painful part of life. H.M Irwing is an author whose background information still remains unknown. But she states in this book that, and i quote;
Do I have to be a man? Do I have to be a woman? Must I be a homo or a hetero? I write about the weak. Those of society who are abused everyday by a media who justifies their actions by being right. Right shifts with fad and fashion. The day will come when abusing anyone is never right. I won't live to see that ..
end of quote.

Anna, having had her heart shattered and her trust broken before, vows never to fall in love again with any man who will be the first to approach her again. She had just lost her Step Dad who had been abusive for the past eleven years, and painfully enough, her boyfriend, Matt, had raped her. How will she survive the darkness that these problems stir within her? Then she meets Rafe, a pale shadow of a Soldier he once was, broken from his experiences as a Soldier in Syria. Anna and Rafe are immediately drawn into each other's painful past while they still struggle to find their place in this cruel world. Rafe had just returned home from Syria where he was holding a post in the Australian military.

While he is glad to be back home to spend time together with his dog and his aunt Bella, he gets disturbed by his childhood memories and his past days in the military. He gets lost in his thoughts, though he is trying desperately not to get swayed by these memories. Then he meets Anna Simmons, the daughter of his aunt's best friend. He sees in her the same turmoil he sees in himself and he is determined to help her where no one would. As the story develops, so does the bond between them gets stronger and the external forces that try to separate them and drag them to the lowest pit of despair. This is a fine prelude to reading this book. The main characters used by the author are bruised by their painful pasts such as rape. Anna comes into Rafe's life having been individually raped by Erick who was Rafe's officer in the military. Both of them looking forward to finding solace and overcoming the past by finding a soulmate who will have a forgiving heart as well as someone who will be understanding.

When i read this book i came to realize that it was not what i expected it to be because after reading the phrase
bad boy vibes
from the title, i thought the book will merely be talking about a
bad boy
who goes on and fall in love with a woman only to break her heart. However that is not the case since the author did not pursue that with her work. It is much deeper and more emotionally-complex than i thought of it when i saw the
bad boy vibes
phrase. The psychological complexity of the characters have really left me in awe. The two characters have painful pasts that have made me to sympathize with them. The plot have twists and turns which i usually find interesting in any romance novel and this made me more enthusiastic about reading this book. However the subject of this novel, especially rape, might make it hard for some readers to handle and some might not like how victims of rape are depicted in this book.

I am personally not impressed with how the author describes the effect the date rape drugs had on Anna, i.e. made her enjoy it, or her own admission that at times she is turned on by the men who raped her. The book is a good read with less than 300 pages which makes it suitable for any fan of novels that talk about romance to read and relate the story to real life situations. However i don't recommend this book to those who in one way or another might have been victims of rape since the story can remind them of such a painful predicament that they went through. With no major grammatical errors i found in this book, i rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like silas254's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”