Review by Northernbird84 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Review by Northernbird84 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Northernbird84 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pancake Money by Finn Bell is without a doubt the best book I have read in 2018 so far!

A sleepy New Zealand town is rocked to its core by the violent murder of a beloved Catholic Priest. The murder is well planned, perfectly executed and horrific in every conceivable way. Shocked by the brutality of the scene, Detectives Bobby Rees and Pollo Latu are left reeling when two more priests are killed in equally appalling ways. Surrounded by death, secrets and needless tragedy, just how far are our heroes willing to go to stop the 'Holy Man Killer' before anyone else is killed?

I genuinely didn't want to put this book down. Any spare second I had, at home, at work, on the bus; I was reading this book. I devoured the entire thing within 24 hours.

Finn uses first person narrative to put his reader right in the centre of the action, which for me, unfolded like a great TV show. I felt fully immersed in events as they happened. Finn uses sentence structure exquisitely as a tool to build tension and anxiety. He accurately represents the inner dialogue of someone undergoing stress, which in turn takes the reader along with the protagonist. I felt like I was seeing through Bobby's eyes, I saw what he saw and felt what he felt. At one point in the story I was brought to tears as I grieved along with one of the characters. It has been a long time since a novel had that effect on me.

One of the themes I loved most within this book is its focus on family. Rees and Latu aren't just partners, they are brothers. They have experienced so much before the story starts and continue to grow together. They are a part of one another's family, they regularly have dinner together and they know their children and wives. Latu and Rees are a package deal. Rees’ family are his world, we learn about his relationship with his wife and daughter who help to shape him as a person and play a huge part in his decision making process. It is wonderful to see an author put so much effort into the backstory of his characters. As someone with agoraphobia I wanted to scoop Eva up and give her a big cuddle.

I have seen a review or two which takes issue with the book's name. Personally, I love the name. Pollo explains early on in the book that his mother protected him and his siblings from any violence from their drunken father by giving them money to go and buy pancakes when he came home in a bad way. This kept them out of the house and away from any danger. They all knew what was going on and not all of them appreciated the gesture. I feel Finn named the novel Pancake Money because Pollo is saying that life is full of evil, that everything we have or experience that is positive is purely to give us respite; giving us a treat to allow us to temporarily ignore the evil. It is a clever choice and links in beautifully with the philosophical and psychological aspects of the book.

This leads me nicely onto my next love, the psychological side of the book. This story doesn’t just focus on the motive of the murders it also discusses what leads a person to reach the motive stage. As someone with a serious mental illness I was absolutely fascinated by the psychology in this book. I highlighted passage after passage and it really made me think. I can’t go too much into this for risk of ruining parts for you but if you have any interest in psychology or what motivates people to do things I am certain you will enjoy this.

If you are in any way squeamish, be warned this book is graphic. The murders are brutal as are the descriptions of them. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this; there are only so many ‘single gun shot to the head’ you can deal with in the crime genre before you get bored. The deaths are unlike anything I’ve read before, they are well thought out and set this book apart from others in the genre.

I rate Pancake Money by Finn Bell 4 out of 4 stars, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would absolutely read more by this author.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Northernbird84's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Great review! It's got me thinking I should read it!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

An excellent review! You were very detailed and I could feel your genuine love for the plot while reading this review. You just encouraged me to give it a shot! Thank you :)
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

This sounds like my kind of book. I love this genre, especially with the emphasis on the psychological aspects. I am a little wary of the brutality of the murders but this book sounds like a pageturner nonetheless.
Thanks for the review!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I just might have to read this one. Your review captivated me. Thank you.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”