Review by Mely918 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Review by Mely918 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman follows the story of an 18-year-old orphan named Alex Fine. He grew up in the foster care system and had poor luck finding a family who was willing to take him in permanently. As he grew older, he became a very intelligent young man. He accepted a full scholarship to go to Stanford in the fall after his eighteenth birthday. However, a sudden turn of events changed his plans for the future.

Alex discovers that he has the ability to get access to the Internet from computer power sources. He can also teleport through the Internet to various locations, including Los Angeles, Florida, and Amsterdam. He begins using this newfound power for philanthropic purposes. He does this by stealing money from the rich to give to the poor. Along the way, he finds a girl with whom he falls in love. Alex later finds himself in some trouble as the people that he stole from begin searching for him. Pretty soon, his past catches up to him, and he learns the true source of his abilities.

This book is very descriptive and well-paced. The chapters flow very well with one another. Fayman managed to create wonderfully three-dimensional characters with great background stories. He also excelled at explaining the technical details that were essential to the plot. Oftentimes, with sci-fi books, I’ll stop reading them because I don’t understand the theories and details behind the plot. That wasn’t the case with this book. I was able to follow along so easily. It was truly an engaging book and had me longing for more after I had finished reading it.

My main issue is the grammatical errors and typos that I caught all throughout the book. I found over ten of them before I was even halfway done. There were also many instances of missing words in sentences. All these mistakes slowed my reading down. The fast pace of the plot helps compensate for these issues, but they are still difficult to ignore. The book needs a bit more editing to remedy this problem.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was a very delightful read. This book would be a great choice for those who enjoy a good sci-fi and/or adventure novel. I’d also recommend it to anyone who likes very well-rounded characters. Sadly, there were just too many errors in this book, and so I cannot give it a perfect rating.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I recently read this one and was throughly disgusted by it. I thought Alex was a self-absorbed, arrogant jerk. So it was hard for me to really get into the story with such an unsympathetic character. But I believe it's good to read reviews from people with a different perspective. And your's is nicely done.
BasilTanko
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by BasilTanko »

It is interesting to have a
Robin Hood type story line, though in this situation, an
18 year old replicates the partern of "Stealing from the Rich, and giving to the poor". Regretably, the typos and other Errors lowers its ranking. Above all; The Review is insightful and Detailed.
Great job!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I've read a review of this book before. It sounds intriguing. I've never read any sci-fi books before but I think I might. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

A modern-day Robin Hood - teleporting through the internet to steal from the rich and give to the poor. A very interesting concept!
Thanks for the review!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I read and reviewed this one too and had a somewhat different reaction. I thought the premise was good, but the writing wasn't that great. And I didn't like the direction Alex took with his new powers. I also thought Alex was a self-absorbed jerk. I'd hesitate to say he was "in love" with any of the girls he slept with, because he doesn't seem to care all that much for the. It's just a bit difficult to enjoy a book when you have absolutely no sympathy for the "hero." But I enjoyed reading your review. It's good to read a different take on things.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The mistakes were a big problem. But I also couldn't enjoy Alex's personality. I guess it is a matter of taste. I am glad you had no problem with it. Nice review!
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Galnius »

The concept is incredibly titillating. Whilst I may not read it right away, it seems like something I would enjoy. Perhaps by the time I get to it, the typos will be fixed.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Lots of suspense and action in this story.I like Alex.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”