Review by Nma26 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Nma26 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nma26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

H.M. Irwing’s book, Heartaches 3 – Bad Boy Vibes is a romance story about a couple (Rafe and Anna), who had been through so much in the past. Anna is haunted by horrible memories of rape, betrayal, and loss of her first love. Rafe tries to help her face her fears and defeat them. They fight for their right to a future together.

Furthermore; the story is also a tale of how a drug cartel headed by Eric Dayton is destroyed. Peter Preston, a formidable force in the cartel, takes advantage of his victims and uses them to carry out his dirty deals. The torment, pain, and anguish they inflict on the life of the characters, is a major backbone of the story. The story comes to a climax when Rafe tries to help Ned Slater avenge his brother’s death. Ned believes Eric Dayton played a major role in his brother’s death in Syria. Rafe is caught, and Anna goes in search of him.

H.M. Irwing is very good at exposing the vulnerabilities of the characters, and their fight to come to terms with their past. He also expresses his uniqueness a lot of times, in matching the character’s feelings with his description of their present weather condition. Also, his use of BDSM in this story is very revealing.

The characters in the book paint a real picture of today’s modern society. The characters include Aunt Bella, Jane Simmons, Charlotte, Brian, Peter Preston, Eric Dayton, etc. Also worth mentioning are other characters like; Pat and Dan (the gay couple), Suzie (the dominatrix), David Seaborn, Matt Preston, Bruno (the dog), Rafe and Anna (the major characters), etc.

What I like most about the book is the way Matt acknowledges defeat at the end. I nearly cried. My reason is that lots of people today would rather continue to fight, even when they know they have lost. It takes courage to admit that someone else has taken your place; most especially, in matters of the heart.

What I like least about the story, was the absence of Suzie at the climax of the story. I enjoyed her, and do believe, she would have made the climax more interesting. Also, there is no mention of Suzie and David Seaborn at the marriage. I also didn’t like this.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I gave it a 2 because; it was neither very excellent nor very poor. I didn’t give it a 4 because; there were a lot of run-on sentences which did not make complete sense. It also has a lot of typographical errors. I did not give it a 3 because; though it’s a nice story, it is not exceptional compared to similar romance stories.

This book would appeal most to couples (opposite sex, or same sex), who are dating or married. It would appeal to anyone who is interested in love. It would also appeal to rape victims, people fighting low self-esteem, depression, or horrible memories of the past. This book would appeal least to people who think love is a weakness. It would also appeal least to tough and hard people. It would also appeal least to people who are biased about same sex marriage.

The author paints a very good picture towards the end of the book; and wraps up the story very nicely.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nma26's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Great review... I've read it and gave the same rating
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Thanks alot. The story was quite average.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Do you feel this book supports the series or does it fall flat in comparison to the series as a whole? It's always felt important to me that each book in a series holds up to the expectations of the others.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Nma26 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 19:45 Thanks alot. The story was quite average.
I perfectly agree with you
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

Dear Abigail,I feel the other series were much better.I have only read the second and last series.I prefer the previous series to this one.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Is this book hard to understand if you haven't read the others?Just curious. Great review
:techie-studyingbrown:
Nma26

Post by Nma26 »

No dear, you can understand it without reading the other series.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

The author of this book seems to have mastered the art of twisting the plot around into a tight dilemma then bring out the ingenious of the main characters in resolving that dilemma. Lovers of romance would enjoy it. However I am not one of them, so I may not be reading this one! Thanks for the review though!
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Usually, I'm not a fan of romance novels, but the trauma Anna has gone through peaked my interest. I find that incredibly romantic that Rafe tries to help Anna through this trauma (which is so much easier said than done!). The way you structured your review and explained how trauma is the backbone of this story makes me want to read it! Well done!
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

Very interesting ending to the series! It sounds as though I'd need to read the first two before I start on this one though!
I'd be interested to see if the characters are shown as being more vulnerable victims, or strengthened by their negative pasts. (i.e. if it shows their emotional trauma being healed)
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I have also read and reviewed this book. Through your review, I have learned that people's opinions are not always the same because unlike you, I have rated it 4 out for stars. Interesting review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I have read book 2 but not this one. I do agree with you that the author has the ability to portray the characters in a realistic modern-day manner. I feel somewhat sorry for Matt though but still, admire him for acknowledging defeat. Thank you for your lovely review.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I love your summary of the book. However, I think that if you included more of yourself and your opinion on the review it would be good or the review.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I read and reviewed the first part of this series so it’s nice to kind of see what happens next. Glad to see Matt acknowledged defeat. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”