Review by LaurenHaupt -- The Flower Girl Murder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by LaurenHaupt -- The Flower Girl Murder

Post by LaurenHaupt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Flower Girl Murder" by Keith Hirshland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you love murder mysteries, I know a book that you might have a problem with putting down. The book is called The Flower Girl Murder. It is written by Keith Hirshland. It is a short fictional novel.

The story takes place in Raleigh, North Carolina. Raleigh is a quiet peaceful town. They get a lot of crime but usually, it is something petty. People in the town are taken by surprise when a body of an innocent woman is found dead behind a Planned Parenthood building. Who would kill this loving wife and mom? With not any good leads or motives Detective, Marc Allen, is in fear that this case may never be solved. When there is a second murder, he is also in fear that one of these cases may stay cold. With the help of friends and strangers, can he solve these cases before the killer strikes again? Who would be so cold to commit these heinous crimes?

I was thrilled when I found this book. I love murder mysteries but I haven't had a chance to review one yet. I was so happy to have a chance to read this book. This book did not disappoint me. What first struck me was the cover. The cover is colorful. It has a flower on the ground that has some blood underneath it. I thought the title of the book was catchy. I was curious who the flower girl was and I knew I had to read this book to find out. It is a short book which is good because it is hard to stop reading. I was able to read it pretty fast. The chapters are fairly short. If you do need to stop somewhere you can, but finding the will to stop can be a problem.

The characters are fun and easy to get to know. There are many characters in the book, but you do get to know the main characters really well. In the book, there is Marc Allen, who is the detective. Lancaster Heart, who is a famous news reporter. Lancaster's girlfriend, Brodie, whom he is hoping will soon be his wife. There is Teri, who can definitely hold a grudge and has trouble letting go of the past. There is also Hank. Hank is Teri's father. He is a little lonely and wishes the best for Teri. There are also many other characters who play a very important role in helping keep Raleigh, North Carolina safe.

The author lets you know what the characters are thinking. It helps you get to know them and how they are as a person. You learn what their flaws and what their qualities are. My favorite character was a woman named Blanche Avery. She is concerned about the death of this innocent woman and ends up having very important information when it comes to solving her murder. One of the characters I liked the least was Lancaster Heart. He seemed a little snotty and unfriendly to strangers.

I thought the ending was great. I thought I knew who the killer was until the end. It has an exciting twist in the story. I still had some questions at the end that kept me wondering about certain things. In a way, it is kind of a psychological thriller book.

I give this story 4 out of 4 stars. I am very proud to be able to review this book. I think anyone who loves murder mysteries would enjoy reading it. I do have to give a warning that there is some sexual content in the book. Because of the sexual content, I do not recommend it to children. I hope I can find some more stories from this author. I am thankful that I was able to review this one.

The Flower Girl Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LaurenHaupt's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I agree with you that the cover art for this book is very appealing. This book most definitely seems like a great book for mystery fans. I, myself, enjoy a good murder mystery novel. I might consider reading this on the side just for fun. Nice job on your review! :)
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Mely918 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 16:29 I agree with you that the cover art for this book is very appealing. This book most definitely seems like a great book for mystery fans. I, myself, enjoy a good murder mystery novel. I might consider reading this on the side just for fun. Nice job on your review! :)
Thank you. It was fun all the way through.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I love murder mysteries and I am especially glad to hear that the ending was not what you expected. I think I am even more intrigued by this because I used to live in Raleigh. There is something about reading a book set in a place you are very familiar with that I love!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Your great review has just piqued my interest in wanting to know the terrible killer behind the death of innocent people. I will definitely add the book on my to-read list.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 13:35 Your great review has just piqued my interest in wanting to know the terrible killer behind the death of innocent people. I will definitely add the book on my to-read list.
Thank you! It's a fun book and it's not too long either.Some of the characters are really interesting.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

abigailray1013 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 10:39 I love murder mysteries and I am especially glad to hear that the ending was not what you expected. I think I am even more intrigued by this because I used to live in Raleigh. There is something about reading a book set in a place you are very familiar with that I love!
It wasn't. Had me thinking about the book after I read the end. I was so sure it was someone else. I know what you mean. Same with watching a show on tv.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Mely918 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 16:29 I agree with you that the cover art for this book is very appealing. This book most definitely seems like a great book for mystery fans. I, myself, enjoy a good murder mystery novel. I might consider reading this on the side just for fun. Nice job on your review! :)
Thank you.I love books with unforgettable titles and pictures. After reading it I wasn't disappointed at all. I hope you do. It's enjoyable.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Twists and turns like the one you've described here,appeals to me. An unpredictable ending makes the story more fascinating. Thanks for the review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Nma26 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 11:14 Twists and turns like the one you've described here,appeals to me. An unpredictable ending makes the story more fascinating. Thanks for the review.
It is. I was really sure I knew who the killer was. If you read it I hope you enjoy it. Your welcome
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Oooo I love murder mysteries! Its awesome when an author uses their page space wisely and get you invested. Getting to know characters and motivations/ connections is a huge part of story telling that can be skimped on in shorter books. I have to read this book, I also found the title to be attention grabbing.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I love murder mysteries, and I will go for this one ASAP. Thank you for the passionate and thorough review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 03:02 I love murder mysteries, and I will go for this one ASAP. Thank you for the passionate and thorough review.
Thank you. It's a fun book.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 18:13 Oooo I love murder mysteries! Its awesome when an author uses their page space wisely and get you invested. Getting to know characters and motivations/ connections is a huge part of story telling that can be skimped on in shorter books. I have to read this book, I also found the title to be attention grabbing.
I liked the cover. I hope you do enjoy it.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I also love murder mysteries I can't wait to find out who the killer is

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”