Review by Chipochashe -- White Night by J.J. Holt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Review by Chipochashe -- White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Chipochashe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Night" by J.J. Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Night by J.J. Holt is definitely an interesting read. Detective Connors is back on duty after a traumatic experience. Having been an unpopular person before, she is even more so now. This is because her fellow colleagues no longer trust her sense of judgment and her fitness for duty. Her career is at stake, and to make matters worse, she is partnered with Detective Ross. Ross is distrusted and disliked.

The two are given a homicide case to work on and Connors knows that her career depends on this case. As they work on the case, they uncover unsettling details. The case turns into a race against time, to save their own lives and many more lives. Connors initially distrusts Ross, but soon realizes that he is an invaluable partner. Together, they work to prevent a disaster and the possibility of losing their jobs.

The book is fast paced, thrilling and intriguing. The author did not develop the characters much, but gave the reader just enough to relate. The reader can sympathize with Connors as she struggles to regain her colleagues' respect and once you learn why Ross is the way he is, you can sympathize with him as well. The two detectives are the outcasts in their department and make up a broken team. However, they are strong and determined. This makes the reader stand with them, hoping that the victory is theirs. The author also allows us to feel that these detectives are also human, struggling to deal with the pain and horrors of the career path they had chosen.

I rate this book, White Night by J.J. Holt, 4 out of 4 stars. I absolutely enjoyed this book. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I found only one grammatical error, which may have been intentional, since the words were spoken by one of the characters. A sneak peek into the following book is also given at the end of the book. The book itself ends on a satisfying note, but the reader is left wanting to know what else the two detectives will take on.

This book will appeal to readers who love crime drama. The book would also appeal to those who like thrillers as it is fast paced and intriguing. I couldn't believe that story only covered a period of five days. The book is packed with action. If you like mystery novels you may want to give this one a try as well because there are a few twists as the detectives work on solving the homicide. I would certainly recommend this book. It is completely enjoyable.

White Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Chipochashe's review? Post a comment saying so!
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
merenla
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by merenla »

Its interesting and for crime book lovers like me, its intriguing and I want to read it again.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great crime novel. I just reviewed an awesome one too. I might check out this one.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

This book will appeal to readers who love crime drama. The book would also appeal to those who like thrillers as it is fast paced and intriguing. I couldn't believe that story only covered a period of five days. The book is packed with action.
I really love crime drama and you must count me in as far as this is concerned. Thanks for this review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

merenla wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 12:07 Its interesting and for crime book lovers like me, its intriguing and I want to read it again.
It is a fascinating read.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

teacherjh wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 18:21 This sounds like a great crime novel. I just reviewed an awesome one too. I might check out this one.
I hope you did check it out and enjoyed as much as I did.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Samuel Waragu wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 13:11
This book will appeal to readers who love crime drama. The book would also appeal to those who like thrillers as it is fast paced and intriguing. I couldn't believe that story only covered a period of five days. The book is packed with action.
I really love crime drama and you must count me in as far as this is concerned. Thanks for this review.
You are welcome Samuel. Did you manage to read it?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”