Review by Crainbow -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Crainbow
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Review by Crainbow -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow » 25 Jul 2018, 17:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some people are privileged to know their purpose right from childhood, some discover it in high school or college, while others never truly know what they are meant to do with their lives for a very long time and so they simply drift by taking life as it comes. From Drift to SHIFT: How Change Can Bring True Meaning and Happiness to Your Work and Life by Jody B. Miller is a book that will convince you of your worth regardless of your condition or situation. Jody does this by highlighting key lessons from seven non-fiction stories of individuals who experienced diverse challenges that led to significant changes in their lives and mindset, but were able to make good in the midst of those changes by paying attention to the signs, clinging to hope, and trusting their newly found paths.

The stories in this book emphasise the power of hope in the most turbulent and uncertain times and the importance of taking active initiatives to finding true happiness. With each story, the author explains how people experience what she calls shift in their lives as a result of going through circumstances such as extensive trauma, critical health conditions, a rocky relationship, or any devastating event. As the characters drift through their unique and similar experiences, changes occur that help them gain higher self awareness and a better understanding of their cause. In analysing these stories, Jody tells that everyone can discover and achieve a sense of purpose, and attain all-round happiness by focusing on the path indicators rather than the mishaps. In this book, you will learn when to shift, how to shift, and what to do after your shift.

Jody started by illustrating her own shift experience which occurred during her divorce and through out the book she hammered on the importance of focusing on the signs which are always around us to guide our paths. Her book showcased engaging dialogues and narratives that kept me on a constant self reflective train, and at the turn of each chapter I felt equipped with a reinforced mindset to never ever give up. She did a fantastic job of infusing bits of humour into her story telling for those who do not mind a bit of humour every now and then while reading. The writing flows effortlessly void of typos and errors and the absence of jargon made it easy to understand and follow.

Furthermore, I found it very beneficial that each chapter offered chapter takeaways in form of motivating statements meant to establish a positive mindset in the reader. One takeaway I particularly liked was that you have to show up in life regardless of the cards you are dealt. Also, you would learn that in discovering your purpose, giving back always seems to be the outcome; a fact I already believed. In the appendix, she gives tips on things you can do to bring balance into your life, and questions and practices that can trigger your self awareness. She also gives insights into understanding Hindu not as a religion but as a spiritual practice to help you in your self-discovery journey; though she does not identify with any particular religion.

After reading this book I could not help but believe that it came to me at the right time. I particularly loved the essence of the book as a whole in serving as a source of hope to many who seem to be drifting in their work or family life. This book has the power to revive, quicken, and reinforce a broken mind and spirit, therefore, I would recommend it to anyone seeking a little hope to keep up in trying times. Though not all the stories were motivating for me, for instance the Amazon forest story which I found rather boring, I believe in every book you have to focus on what good you can take out of it, because the purpose of an author's writing is not meant for everyone to agree with every single one of his or her philosophy.

Finally, though the writing was well edited, I felt the tempo shift in subsequent chapters from energetic to dull but that didn't stop me from getting the message. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars specifically because in each story I believe the reader will find a piece he or she can relate to or a whole story that resonates with them. This book might not be appealing to those who are seeking financial breakthrough because it only offers a guide to finding purpose and staying on track. But if you are trying to find your way, I recommend this book.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Crainbow's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”