Review by JHuschle519 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
JHuschle519
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by JHuschle519 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by JHuschle519 » 24 Jul 2018, 08:03

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment by Richard L. Haight can best be described as a self-help book, although it takes quite a while to get to the helpful part. Its primary focus is on the difference between our minds and our consciousness. It can also serve as a guide for those who have not already discovered a preferred method of meditation.

Richard Haight breaks this book up into three parts; My Story, The Path, and Daily Unfoldment. In the first part, My Story, he describes his spiritual journey beginning at the age of eight. Each chapter focuses on a different example of his spiritual awakening. In the second part, The Path, he begins discussing different meditation techniques. In the third part, Daily Unfoldment, he discusses challenges the reader may face, and some ways to get through them.

The author legitimately seems to care about other people and their spiritual well-being. In some self-help books, there is constant talk about different learning materials or courses you can pay for if you want to learn even more. These sales pitches are often scattered throughout the book and can be very annoying. I didn’t see any of that in this book. The only mention of other works came all the way at the end in a separate section.

While I do believe the author was trying to be helpful, I struggled through the first part of the book. Personally, I feel it was longer than it needed to be. His stories are interesting, but they don’t aid the reader in reaching the desired goal of transformation and enlightenment. Also, some of his stories seemed like they were probably exaggerated. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt about his dreams and visions, but there are certain physical experiences he describes that are extremely hard to believe.

One of the things I did not like about the second part of this book was the section on the use of psychotropics. The author warns against the use of such substances, and states that they are never recommended, but then goes on to outline when using them might be acceptable. Not only is this contradictory, it is also outright dangerous.

The Daily Unfoldment section of the book had some good information in it, but the author spent a lot of time writing about his personal journey again, which made it feel like reading part one of the book all over again.

It is hard to tell if this book was professionally edited prior to self-publication. I did find several errors related to comma usage, but it’s not what I would consider excessive. The main reason I question the editing is the repetitiveness in the writing. I believe a professional editor would have noticed this and taken steps to correct it.

Overall, I rate The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment 2 out of 4 stars. It may be right for some readers who are already interested in the topic, but the repetitiveness of the writing, the questioning of some of the authors personal experiences, and the dangerous advice makes it difficult to read and take seriously.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like JHuschle519's review? Post a comment saying so!

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Tante Minnie by Marilyn Parker
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 31 Jul 2018, 07:40

JHuschle519 wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2018, 08:03
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment by Richard L. Haight can best be described as a self-help book, although it takes quite a while to get to the helpful part. Its primary focus is on the difference between our minds and our consciousness. It can also serve as a guide for those who have not already discovered a preferred method of meditation.

Richard Haight breaks this book up into three parts; My Story, The Path, and Daily Unfoldment. In the first part, My Story, he describes his spiritual journey beginning at the age of eight. Each chapter focuses on a different example of his spiritual awakening. In the second part, The Path, he begins discussing different meditation techniques. In the third part, Daily Unfoldment, he discusses challenges the reader may face, and some ways to get through them.

The author legitimately seems to care about other people and their spiritual well-being. In some self-help books, there is constant talk about different learning materials or courses you can pay for if you want to learn even more. These sales pitches are often scattered throughout the book and can be very annoying. I didn’t see any of that in this book. The only mention of other works came all the way at the end in a separate section.

While I do believe the author was trying to be helpful, I struggled through the first part of the book. Personally, I feel it was longer than it needed to be. His stories are interesting, but they don’t aid the reader in reaching the desired goal of transformation and enlightenment. Also, some of his stories seemed like they were probably exaggerated. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt about his dreams and visions, but there are certain physical experiences he describes that are extremely hard to believe.

One of the things I did not like about the second part of this book was the section on the use of psychotropics. The author warns against the use of such substances, and states that they are never recommended, but then goes on to outline when using them might be acceptable. Not only is this contradictory, it is also outright dangerous.

The Daily Unfoldment section of the book had some good information in it, but the author spent a lot of time writing about his personal journey again, which made it feel like reading part one of the book all over again.

It is hard to tell if this book was professionally edited prior to self-publication. I did find several errors related to comma usage, but it’s not what I would consider excessive. The main reason I question the editing is the repetitiveness in the writing. I believe a professional editor would have noticed this and taken steps to correct it.

Overall, I rate The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment 2 out of 4 stars. It may be right for some readers who are already interested in the topic, but the repetitiveness of the writing, the questioning of some of the authors personal experiences, and the dangerous advice makes it difficult to read and take seriously.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like JHuschle519's review? Post a comment saying so!
Awesome review. I read this one, too. But it seems that I was so immersed in what he was saying (his crazy stories) that I didn't fully pay attention to his format.

Your review is so well organized and coherent, I applaud you! Makes me think my review must be a rambling mess!

I went back and forth with rating this book like I have with a few others. I found it helpful and agree that it was a nice touch to not have to read about an author's next 'deal' whether it be meditation music CDs, super kale-shake powder or whatever. He did seem genuinely concerned to reach people and change the planet.

At first, I didn't like it and read carefully thinking I would find things to object to. But I really didn't. I think he did like to talk about himself, and the stories are out there, but I didn't really let them sway me in terms of whether the material was helpful and accessible. And I thought it was.

But, backtracking a little here, I haven't seen other reviewers mention the two things I did find a bit off-putting. First, that bit where an evil presence was sitting next to him on the floor preventing him from moving. How terrifying! And the idea that you have to do the Dance of Self to get rid of the negative energy that would cause the evil presence. Not sure if I can buy either of those ideas.

Great review!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 » 31 Jul 2018, 08:51

FictionLover wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2018, 07:40

Awesome review. I read this one, too. But it seems that I was so immersed in what he was saying (his crazy stories) that I didn't fully pay attention to his format.

Your review is so well organized and coherent, I applaud you! Makes me think my review must be a rambling mess!

I went back and forth with rating this book like I have with a few others. I found it helpful and agree that it was a nice touch to not have to read about an author's next 'deal' whether it be meditation music CDs, super kale-shake powder or whatever. He did seem genuinely concerned to reach people and change the planet.

At first, I didn't like it and read carefully thinking I would find things to object to. But I really didn't. I think he did like to talk about himself, and the stories are out there, but I didn't really let them sway me in terms of whether the material was helpful and accessible. And I thought it was.

But, backtracking a little here, I haven't seen other reviewers mention the two things I did find a bit off-putting. First, that bit where an evil presence was sitting next to him on the floor preventing him from moving. How terrifying! And the idea that you have to do the Dance of Self to get rid of the negative energy that would cause the evil presence. Not sure if I can buy either of those ideas.

Great review!
Thanks for taking the time to read my review. I'm glad to see you found some useful material in the book. That was one of the main reasons I rated the book 2 out of 4. I knew there were people out there who would enjoy it, even if I didn't. I'm also glad to see you didn't take all of the authors stories at face value, since some of them were indeed a bit hard to believe.

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Tante Minnie by Marilyn Parker
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 31 Jul 2018, 10:58

31 Jul 2018, 08:51
FictionLover wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2018, 07:40

Great review!
Thanks for taking the time to read my review. I'm glad to see you found some useful material in the book. That was one of the main reasons I rated the book 2 out of 4. I knew there were people out there who would enjoy it, even if I didn't. I'm also glad to see you didn't take all of the authors stories at face value, since some of them were indeed a bit hard to believe.
I think I liked the one about being able to read a small scrap of paper in someone's pocket across a crowded arena. I'd love to have that superpower!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar » 05 Aug 2018, 10:27

24 Jul 2018, 08:03

I am quoting the parts of your review that describe points that I also thought about while reading the book, but was unable to put into words. Well said! Also, thanks for commenting on my review of the book. It's always nice to collaborate with fellow readers!
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

thaservices1
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello

Post by thaservices1 » 05 Aug 2018, 13:08

This book I enjoyed greatly. Having seen and experienced things in my own life that are similarly far-fetched and generally unbelievable, I had much less trouble swallowing what comes off at first as fish stories. Thank you for your detailed review. I had wondered how someone without their own unexplained experiences would react to the author's stories. I too enjoyed the lack of sales pitches and was very touched by the author's offer to teach any who were moved to seek him out in the future. As you said, I think he truly does care.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 » 23 Oct 2018, 01:16

thaservices1 wrote: ↑
05 Aug 2018, 13:08
This book I enjoyed greatly. Having seen and experienced things in my own life that are similarly far-fetched and generally unbelievable, I had much less trouble swallowing what comes off at first as fish stories. Thank you for your detailed review. I had wondered how someone without their own unexplained experiences would react to the author's stories. I too enjoyed the lack of sales pitches and was very touched by the author's offer to teach any who were moved to seek him out in the future. As you said, I think he truly does care.
Thank you so much for your comment. It's always nice to see opinions different from my own. Sometimes it makes me look at a book in a whole new light.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”