Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, written and illustrated by Len Foley, is a hilarious children book. In this, a little boy explores, why his book smells so bad. Sigfried presumes many reasons for the foul smell. He points towards the old stains on the pages. Could it be a rotten banana? Or it could be his dog’s pee, maybe his brother’s nose wiping, or his little sister’s wiping her behind. These reasons, though funny, deem natural and authentic to Sigfried! Also, he is bothered about the disgusting smell of his unwashed socks piled beneath his bed.

This humorous book contains only 26 pages. Each page has one or more colorful illustrations and narratives. The big and clear font, written in child handwriting style, certainly matches with the theme. Kids may relate the asymmetrical writing and funny sketches to their own genre. The plot of Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is authentic, as children often mess up things, dirty their dress, belongings, and surroundings.

The illustrations on the front cover and the pages are colorful, funny, and captivating. The animated sketches of the characters and the true images like potato, ketchup stain, and baked beans are awesome. The plot is simple and childish; hence definitely entice children of age 3-7 years. I believe kids would like to read this kind of a book repeatedly, as it provides vibrant illustrations, helping them understand the meaning easily. I liked Len Foley’s writing style. He has left a few sketches that mark the bad smelling objects on the page, asking what it could be. This will certainly tickle the child’s imagination. The use of rhyming words here and there, make the text likable for children. The book has a funny and adorable ending that made me laugh out loud.

The author has exercised the extreme imaginations to research the terrible smell of the book. The hilarious pages certainly make children laugh a lot. However, there can be a few readers who may not like the gross topic and the filthy images.

I felt the book would have been more useful if there is guidance for kids to keep their things clean and tidy. The high-sounding words like kraut, splotch, sow lard, blubber lumps, and sudsy used in the text might make the grasping hard for kids. The employment of simple words would have made the grasping easier.

Parents of young children can have a fun time reading this with their kids. They can advise their young ones to keep their belongings clean and tidy through this storybook. These images can be helpful for children to differentiate between various colors. Parents and school teachers can instruct children sketch by seeing the drawings on the pages.

There is no grammar error in the text. My only worry about this book is that it appears incomplete for not having a proper storyline. If the author had worked more towards perfection, this book would have been better. In view of these negative points, I wish to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this for all kids aged 3 to 7 years. Only those who can’t stand gross and filthy topic, stay away!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ShailaSheshadri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shmuck_reader
Currently Reading: Oathbringer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shmuck-reader.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Shmuck_reader »

Your descriptions make me want to check it out! Thank for reviewing the book ShailaSheshadri. I feel like I now know what to expect :) cheers!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:

Thanks. This book you can read in a jiffy. Go ahead and have fun!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

This sounds like a lovely book for children and myself since I am a child at heart ha ha!..Lovely review. Won't mind having a peep myself!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:

Oh..sure. It's a small book with colorful illustrations. Certainly, you will enjoy it with kids. Thanks!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This sounds like a fun read. Great review!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:

Thanks, Laura Bach for your encouraging comment. Yes, this is a funny children's book that will make you laugh.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”