Review by KatSims92 -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Review by KatSims92 -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by KatSims92 » 22 Jul 2018, 16:26

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first chose Jody B. Miller’s From Drift to Shift I must admit I was skeptical as to how much I would enjoy it or find it meaningful. I usually hold high standards to nonfiction books I read, and I refuse to finish reading anything that doesn’t change my viewpoints or provide meaning. I must say my skepticism was entirely unfounded, for this book inspired, empowered, and motivated me to achieve my full potential. Miller crafts a spellbinding book of inspiration through several well-composed, inspirational stories of people who overcame seemingly impossible circumstances. These individuals thrived and grew from their experiences in every avenue of life: spiritually, professionally, relationally, and emotionally. Each retelling is followed by life lessons gained from the individual such as “Gratitude is the key to happiness,” “The clock only moves forward and so must you,” and “Have a purpose in life that is more than money or station.”

There was undeniably so much I enjoyed about this book. From the first page, I loved Miller’s compassionate, yet motivational voice. She has a valuable way of narrating a story. It very easily could have been a bland read with some preachy material, but it never felt that way. Her compassion shines through and you can tell she wanted to do these remarkable stories justice. I also appreciate how she was able to include stories from such a diverse population and series of unique hardships. The stories never felt tragic or heartbreaking, but resilient and transformative.

Something every writer longs for is that their work will make an impact on the reader. From Drift to Shift certainly accomplished that for me. The stories and guidance contained within made me want to live to my fullest potential and look back on my own life story as one of hope and promise. I also appreciated the format of the book which made it very easy to read and make connections. Line breaks and bullet points really helped separate the stories from the guidance given. Additionally, I admired the research she put into the book by backing up the guidance and motivation with psychological research findings. It could have been so easy to leave out research that supports the viewpoints, but the use of the studies really helped convince the reader of their usefulness.

There was very little I disliked about this book, to be honest. There were a couple of grammatical mistakes I noticed, but it appeared as if it was professionally edited. The chapter titles could have used some extra work, and the book's title didn’t grab me upon first hearing of it. Needless to say, I was delightfully surprised by the treasures within the pages. Every page was meaningful. Every story grabbed me and took me along for a journey of self-discovery and perseverance. I will definitely be saving this book and writing down the profound quotes I came across. I would find it mind-boggling if someone didn’t find something with which to connect.

Stories help provide healing and if we are able to see that others can overcome the seemingly impossible, there is no reason why we can’t too. Because of this, I would gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who dreams of more for their life, longs for inspiration, or wants to be touched by the written word. I would also encourage future readers to keep going it until the very end because she included extra tidbits of inspiration until the very last pages. I didn't want the book to end, so this was a lovely surprise.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KatSims92's review? Post a comment saying so!

Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Code by Kelsey Rae Barthel

Post by Jgideon » 24 Jul 2018, 04:25

I like self-help books that provide real-life experiences and credible evidence. Thanks to your review, I now know that the book offers more than that. I also want to experience the "treasures within the pages" of the book as you have described them. I will add it to my to-read list. Thank you.

Rosemary Khathibe
2018 Reading Goal: 55
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe » 24 Jul 2018, 07:32

With your intriguing review, to read such an aspiring book will be a dream come true. I have read many, but I think this one has more guidance, and motivating stories.

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: The Trunk by Dale Rollings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 24 Jul 2018, 16:22

I enjoyed your enthusiasm in this review. I can tell you loved it and that makes me want to read it. Good job!

Julie Green
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green » 24 Jul 2018, 16:30

What an engaging review. Self-help books can so often be bland but this book sounds like it is definitely worth a read.

Samy Lax
2019 Reading Goal: 53
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax » 30 Aug 2018, 00:08

The fact that you liked the book so much that you didn't want it to end proves that it's an absolutely enjoyable read. I have read this book too, so I completely share your sentiments here.

Lovely review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

imSunshine
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine » 19 May 2019, 08:33

From your review I could see that this is an inspiring piece..I liked the honesty of the review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”