Review by FictionLover -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by FictionLover -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by FictionLover »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin is a unique mix of fantasy and science fiction featuring Andy Kerminov, a young Russian man, who is accidentally transported to another planet via a device his father has invented for the Russian government. Within seconds Andy finds himself in a primeval forest where he must use his wits and his defensive skills to survive among the various predators there. Soon enough he is injured by a magical discharge, captured and sold as a slave. He is taken to the estate of a king where he escapes from his captors during a hunt in which he is one of the prey.

Lovers of fantasy and dragon lore will find much to sink their teeth into here. Mr. Sapegin’s imaginary world is filled with elves, gnomes, orcs, mages and various animals. His colorful imagination is out in full force describing the planet and its inhabitants. Animals are a combination of two or three earth animals – real, imaginary and extinct. I think many will find his descriptions entertaining. His mash-up animals are especially intriguing, and the medieval atmosphere and use of magic potions and spells will fit the bill for those looking for a new fantasy world.

In this new world, Andy goes through much hardship and many changes on his way to becoming the dragon. In the end, it is his memory of his family that pushes him down a path that is destined to change him and his new world.

Though the author gives us the point of view of a few characters, Andy was the one who appealed to me the most. The prose excels when we are in his presence, and I found those passages the most compelling and easy to read.

Unfortunately, other sections of the book are not as well executed or easy to read, and it seems this book is one of those cases of an author with a good idea who really needs an editor. The further I read, the more I began to dislike the overwritten narrative where five sentences are used when one would do. This contrasts with passages which are too short and too filled with clichés or odd phrases to adequately describe what is happening. In these passages, I often found myself puzzled and had to stop and reread. Flashbacks are used for no apparent reason, and the subplot of political intrigue seems to exist only to showcase the cruelty and brutality of the elf Neril whose two sentence back-story comes too late for me to feel a modicum of sympathy toward him.

In my opinion, the sections which focus on Andy and his new life and adventures make the book. There are some surprises in the last part of the book, which I won’t give away, but which were fantastic and fun. This work would have been more powerful for me if the chapters in the middle were shortened and the focus was kept on Andy.

All in all, Becoming the Dragon will appeal to fantasy readers, because despite his long-winded style, Mr. Sapegin has checked all the boxes which make fantasy appealing. Imaginative, unique and surprising, this novel is filled with magic spells, long lost secrets and a main character who longs to be human.

I only noticed one or two typos, and the book was formatted well. There is a glossary at the back which was helpful with place names.

I rate Becoming the Dragon 3 out of 4 stars.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like FictionLover's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like an editor could be the make or break of this novel. So sad that this most crucial step is often missed.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Helen_Combe wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 02:55 Great review. It sounds like an editor could be the make or break of this novel. So sad that this most crucial step is often missed.
Thank you!

Yes, he definitely needs an editor, or at the very least a friend or relative that is not afraid to tell him the truth. LOL!

:wink2:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I'm not usually drawn to sci-fi/fantasy, but based on your synopsis of the plot and your description of the "mash-up animals," this book sounds interesting. Well written review.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

The odd phrases and cliches were certainly too much for. I am so glad that you enjoyed the plot and still got enough out of this book to rate it well! It is definitely an interesting and creative read.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

PABS wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 19:28 I'm not usually drawn to sci-fi/fantasy, but based on your synopsis of the plot and your description of the "mash-up animals," this book sounds interesting. Well written review.
Thanks.

The animals were a hoot. You've got to give it to someone when they have that kind of imagination!
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

abigailray1013 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 22:14 The odd phrases and cliches were certainly too much for. I am so glad that you enjoyed the plot and still got enough out of this book to rate it well! It is definitely an interesting and creative read.
I have to admit, for a lot of the book, I was thinking it was going to be a 2 star review. Then at the end, I did enjoy it. And I think fantasy lovers, especially lovers of dragon lore will enjoy it even more than I did.

:wine:
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Helen_Combe wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 02:55 Great review. It sounds like an editor could be the make or break of this novel. So sad that this most crucial step is often missed.
You are right about that, Helen.

I am now reading another book which seems to be well liked and well received here. But I am having a problem with the author jumping around in the point of view. It takes me out of the whole story. That's something that an editor would fix.

:wine:
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

PABS wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 19:28 I'm not usually drawn to sci-fi/fantasy, but based on your synopsis of the plot and your description of the "mash-up animals," this book sounds interesting. Well written review.
Thanks.

If you read it, let me know what you think.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 13:39 I read the review of "Becoming the dragon' by Alex Sapegin. Its a story of Russian boy Andy. He lives in a world based on traditional stories and is puzzled too much. All this situation resulted from a school field trip of Andy when on the way he was coming back, caught into trouble by lightning from a tree. This interference with lightning changed the life of Andy for ever. Whenever Andy comes into contact with electric things or electric lights, he expresses an awkward behavior surpassing from the ordinary conditions. As he lives in the metagrobolized world with his mythical friends who lead him to their own way. Andy reaches the level of life where he thinks about his survival, but his return is seemed not to happen now. This is a good review written by FictionLover. I liked it very much.
Thank you.

I've never seen the word metagrobolized before. What does it mean?
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Using one five sentences when he could've used one describes this book perfectly. There were so many things that took so long to get to the point. And then forgotten about completely shortly afterwards.
I loved your review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
carlyroseh
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlyroseh.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by carlyroseh »

I agree that this book would be more compelling if it was better edited. Like you said, there were few errors, but it could have been formatted better to help reduce the reader’s confusion. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”