Review by Eryn Bradshaw -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Review by Eryn Bradshaw -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Different Kinds of Monsters follows two stories. The first story follows a strong Allosaurus named First through her life in the Late Jurassic Period. The latter is the story of a man named Dylan Armitage. His chapters follow his life from the age of six in the 1970’s to his present time. Dylan grows up on the road with his mother and father. He has a deep-seated love for dinosaurs and learning. When at the museum in Chicago with his family, he is fascinated by an Allosaurus skeleton named Emily. Mysteriously, Emily follows the family and is featured in museums in the towns they live, which convinces Dylan that he has a special connection to her. Little does he know, the connection he felt towards her wasn’t that she was a protector but as something far more sinister.

Seth Chambers explores many difficult topics in The Different Kinds of Monsters that leaves you questioning who are the real monsters? Is it the dinosaurs who are considered savage, primal beasts who know nothing but kill, eat, and survive? Or is it the people inhabiting the earth now? The book was so aptly named it allows you to explore that topic while reading this beautiful yet horrifyingly written book.

This book dives deep into a few issues people may experience, which warrants an explicit warning before reading. Many, if not all, of the characters, have psychological issues, some more tolerable than others. I struggled to read through the book at times, needing to break away from the world Chambers created and breath or do something more uplifting. While this book is a science fiction with sections written that would not happen, issues that Dylan and other characters experience are real-life issues which made the book all too real. I give a lot of credit to Chambers for writing some of these even if they were far too detailed for my taste. There were a few instances where I felt fewer details would have been a little easier to read and still contribute to the plot and purpose of the book. For example, there is nearly an entire chapter written about Dylan’s experiences with a pedophile. The details of the actions taken could have been less explicit and still have the same effect on the reader.

The amount of research and detail put into First’s side of the story was beautiful. I took the time to look up each dinosaur named in these sections of the novel that I did not know. Knowing what a Torvosaurus or an Ornitholestes looked like helped me to better picture the scenes in First’s chapters. I loved First’s chapters and felt the simplistic, survivalist emotions she experienced throughout her life.

Despite the characters having these psychological issues, and the fact that one of them was a dinosaur, I felt they were strongly developed. There were points in the novel where I felt sympathy for Dylan, his family, and First. There were other times where their actions, although made sense within their persona, made me angry with them. I got to know Dylan, liking his character and rallying behind him, but as the novel progressed, following Dylan’s actions, the question about who the real monsters are was brought up again and again.

The Different Kinds of Monsters was an intense read for me that left me feeling relieved that it was finally over. Chambers did a fantastic job penning this novel, and despite the uncomfortable details, it is a great book. I give The Different Kinds of Monsters 3 out of 4 stars. I liked that the book provoked a lot of thoughts and loved the parts that took place in the Late Jurassic Period. I, again, do wish some details were left out of the book because of the intensity of emotions I felt and how uncomfortable it was to read at times. The characters were developed well. I found no errors in the book, grammatical or otherwise. I would recommend this book to people who are okay with reading such heavy topics as they make up a lot of the book. It is not an easy book to read for the reasons listed above and many more.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eryn Bradshaw's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
BasilTanko
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by BasilTanko »

For the fact that you got to love Dylan and his character,and even rally behind him,but got to hate his precceding actions,making you ask the question 'who are the real monsters?', shows the beuty of the book, I am most especially impressed and amazed by your review. Good job done!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

BasilTanko wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 13:33 For the fact that you got to love Dylan and his character,and even rally behind him,but got to hate his precceding actions,making you ask the question 'who are the real monsters?', shows the beuty of the book, I am most especially impressed and amazed by your review. Good job done!
Definitely! It's an amazing feat for an author to make you love then hate a character for specific reasons. Thanks for the comment! I really appreciate it! ❤️
BasilTanko
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by BasilTanko »

What is really overwhelming is your outstanding patern of review you adopt, where you creat a scenario linking one yet to read the book in question. No doubt 'A house without a book is like a room without a window' where in this situation, u stand as the book.I look foward to your personal mentorship towards books related issues!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it’a quite a unique premise to have a dinosaur taking part in a story of psychology.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Really nice review and love the idea of a story from the perspective of a dinosaur! It almost seems a shame that the book does not focus simply on the pre-historic era...
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 14:40 Great review, it’a quite a unique premise to have a dinosaur taking part in a story of psychology.
Thanks for the comment! It was definitely a twist that made it interesting. Not many stories that I can thank of that have dinosaurs who terrorize people. :lol2:
Julie Green wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 14:59 Really nice review and love the idea of a story from the perspective of a dinosaur! It almost seems a shame that the book does not focus simply on the pre-historic era...
Oh I agree! I looked forward to the parts from First's perspective and I was so sad when the chapters ended. I honestly think Chambers did an amazing job with that section of the book.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I wasn't too interested in this title when I read the first description, but you write a compelling review. I might have to give it a second thought.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Dael Reader wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 12:16 I wasn't too interested in this title when I read the first description, but you write a compelling review. I might have to give it a second thought.
I felt the same when I originally read the description, but after reading the sample I was hooked. I'm glad I took the time to read it. Hope you enjoy it if you read it! Thanks for the comment!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Intense emotions, detailed encounters and thought provoking details always make a great plot. From your well detailed review I can picture what was going on in the Jurassic world. Thanks for the splendid review.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I also really enjoyed this book. This is an excellent review and it sums up many of the reasons I liked it - the realism, the well-developed characters, and the lush scenes featuring First, among others.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”