Review by divinefeminity -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
divinefeminity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divinefeminity.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by divinefeminity -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by divinefeminity »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This children’s book targets an audience of 2-7 years of age. It goes on about what could be the stinky smell. It is full of funny pictures with everything that could possibly stink. The book is full of colors and drawings and children can learn about colors, different objects and of course smelly things.
The book also features of lot of other elements such as food and YUK, dirty diapers so it gives a bit of a vocabulary that the children can learn accompanied with graphic illustration of the stinky showcase of rotten food among other things. We also learnt new words such as sudsy and slobber.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks could also be used as a starter book where the children who have just started to learn how to read can practice. The children love it because it involves the words stinky and dog pee and has plenty of yucky things that gives them a chuckle.

It is short and sweet and certainly entertains the kids. I read the book to all of my 3 children and they were all dying of laughter at the end of the book. It became their favorite book for several nights in a row. I would recommend this book to any parent looking for a fun bedtime story and a few BIG chuckles, although it does give them a few ideas on how to stink up the house after reading this book.

As an adult, I personally love the mix of drawing and real life pictures; it feels like the toddlers are learning about real objects, for example, one of the pages features a room with legos littered on the floor and it captured my two year old’s attention, so then we started scanning the room and naming all the different objects which was a very nice exercise.

I would give Sigfried’s Smelly Socks by Len Foley a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because there was a word that did not make sense: “sow lard” and I really tried to find its meaning but I had no luck. Moreover, it uses a derogatory word: "kraut", which really should be avoided in a children’s book. I had to explain what a kraut to my 6 year old is and it was not easy. However, having said that, the book is very witty, yucky, and funnily illustrated and a definite entertainment for the children.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like divinefeminity's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”