Review by Dael Reader -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Dael Reader -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Dael Reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R. D. Base introduces the youngest readers—and their parents—to a superhero like none other. When he isn’t out saving the world, Toni likes to do a lot of different things, including spending time with his friends and family and helping out around the house. And Toni is so terrific that he does everything with a smile.

This book is designed perfectly for early readers. There is one simple sentence per page and each sentence starts with the phrase “Toni likes…” This is important for new readers because keeping things simple helps them reach the goal of mastering the text and turning to the next page! 

For those who are old enough to start reading on their own, the vibrant illustrations by Debbie Hefbe give readers a clue to what Toni is doing. For those reading along with a more advanced reader, the pictures provide interesting visuals to spark the kind of questions and observations that help children engage in discussions about what they’re reading. For instance, what game is Toni playing with his friends? What games do you like to play? What food is Toni eating? Do you like those foods?

I think one of the great things about this book is that Toni is African American. I believe every child should be able to read stories about people who look just like them. I also believe every child should read stories about people who are different from them. It is never too early—or too late—to learn that real-life superheroes come in all shapes, sizes, races, and genders.

In this book, we also see that Toni has friends of different genders and races. Even though this diversity is only seen through the illustrations—not the text—it’s wonderful that the author and illustrator decided to be so intentional about placing Toni in inclusive settings. Again, it’s never too early to learn how to play well with everyone.

There might be some confusion about exactly what Toni’s superpowers are. Toni seems to be flying in the picture on the back cover. And he’s wearing a spiffy superhero costume in most of the other illustrations. But he doesn’t display any typical superpowers. He isn’t faster than a speeding bullet or more powerful than a locomotive. He doesn’t seem to have any magical powers or a special utility belt full of gadgets that make it easier to do his chores. Toni seems to be just an ordinary boy doing ordinary things. But maybe that’s the best part of the story.

I think the author is subtly showing all readers that you don't need special powers to be a superhero. You can be a superhero to your family and friends by spending time with them and helping them out in ordinary ways. In fact, maybe the willingness to work and play and help others in need—with a great big smile on your face—is the greatest superpower of all. Or maybe Toni’s greatest superpower is that he likes to read!

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars with absolutely no reservations. It’s a wonderfully illustrated picture book that’s perfectly suited for early readers and whoever is lucky enough to sit down to read with them. There are no errors in the text. One might argue that the words Superhero and Terrific do not need to be capitalized, but one might also claim that the capitalization is simply used for emphasis. At the end of the book, the author lists other titles in the Toni series. I hope all of them find places in the homes and hands of many young readers.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Dael Reader's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Excellent review! It sounds like a highly entertaining and beneficial book that everyone should be reading to their younger kids. Well done pointing out all the pros :)
Nany99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nany99 »

Love your review and as a forner pre-k teacher, I can only agree 100% about everything you said . Great review and sounds like a book every child should have the opportunity to read !
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 20:52 Excellent review! It sounds like a highly entertaining and beneficial book that everyone should be reading to their younger kids. Well done pointing out all the pros :)
Dael Reader wrote: Thanks for the compliment and the comment.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Nany99 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 19:11 Love your review and as a forner pre-k teacher, I can only agree 100% about everything you said . Great review and sounds like a book every child should have the opportunity to read !
Dael Reader wrote: Thank you!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I also think he’s just a really nice little boy and I agree with you about the social diversity being important.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I also really enjoyed this book! I am grateful for more books of representation and I hope that this continues to grow! A wonderful story with a great message.

Great review!
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Helen_Combe wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 08:25 Great review. I also think he’s just a really nice little boy and I agree with you about the social diversity being important.
Dael Reader wrote: Thank you! Wouldn't you just love to meet Toni in person?
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

abigailray1013 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 08:55 I also really enjoyed this book! I am grateful for more books of representation and I hope that this continues to grow! A wonderful story with a great message.

Great review!
Dael Reader wrote: Thanks for the compliment and the comment!{/quote]
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also didn't mark those two words as errors. I agree that they may have been capitalised for Emphasis ;)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Bianka Walter wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 16:35 I also didn't mark those two words as errors. I agree that they may have been capitalised for Emphasis ;)
Great review!
Dael Reader wrote:Great minds think alike!{/quote]
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I’m glad to see Toni has a new fan. 🙃
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

teacherjh wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 21:32 I’m glad to see Toni has a new fan. 🙃
Thanks!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is well placed and the first thing that I noticed too by its cover:
"It is never too early—or too late—to learn that real-life superheroes come in all shapes, sizes, races, and genders."

Thank you for your review on this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Thanks for mentioning that Toni is African American and how great is that! I enjoyed your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”