Review by palilogy -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Review by palilogy -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by palilogy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Although I haven’t gone fishing since I was a little girl in summer day camp I was curious to read Michelle Cumming’s novel called The Reel Sisters. I enjoyed the simplicity behind the title and the cover art on the book. I felt relaxed at the idea of the story and eager to start turning the pages.

I was touched by the author’s words before the story even began. Along the first few pages the author shares a compelling dedication “To Dame Juliana Berners, who in 1946 wrote the first book ever to be published on fly fishing. Her courage and tenacity over five hundred years ago has inspired me to write this book and encourage more women to go fly fishing.” From the dedication, I felt an attachment and confidence towards the author. I could feel their passion and I hoped to see more of it in the story within.

I laughed reading the first few pages of the book; I sincerely and whole-heartedly enjoyed the character and narration. Knowing nothing about fly-fishing I found it humorous and I smiled hearing the narrators advice to use the bathroom before putting waders on. I felt a connection with Rose and Sophie shopping at a fly shop and fishing together along the mountains.

Throughout the book there is ease with words. The author demonstrates a great craft in likability and in knowledge of subject matter. As the story progresses the author continues with humor as Sophie asks for fishing lessons for herself and not her father or boyfriend – to the employees surprise. The reader meets a cast of realistic characters including one friend who dies, leading Sophie to do an arrangement for her funeral. Even when the book is serious, without any humor, there are touching moments. Sophie uses ribbon and a fly to represent their lifestyle and the symbols are sweet and sincere. The women raise their glasses to their friend and their days along the river and it is a real and raw moment of feeling. Throughout the story I felt the friendship, the love and the connection with one another in nature. I laughed, I felt sadness and I felt I was reading an inspiring and admirable story.

Because I deeply enjoyed reading every page I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, knowing nothing about fly-fishing. I would recommend this book to women, outdoor enthusiasts, book clubs and readers who love to discover an amazing author. I was touched by the dedication to characterization, description and the emotions throughout the story. I would not change a thing, which is why my rating is high and recommended.

I never had a sister, but I have had sincere close friends that are women. I think this story demonstrates a sincere and strong bond between people. It shows compassion, interest and love. The interest goes much deeper then fly fishing and the story is so much more then I imagined it could be. I have learned to give a story a chance, to let me in and laugh along the pages, to feel something I didn't think I could.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like palilogy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”