Review by Cotwani -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Review by Cotwani -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Loved your review! Very detailed and insightful. If I had a little kid to shop for, I'd definitely buy this one :)
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

This is indeed a great review. The choice of colors is great for children books. I love the book.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Your review does not only include an impressive account of the book but also research data on consumer choice! Also, I like the details you provided on how this book can be just perfect for the intended age group and which skills it may help to develop. This review will undoubtedly help the parents and other potential buyers to make the right choice. Thanks for the review!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I think it's a great book for kids. It's not a typical superhero strory where the main focus of the story is the superpowers of the hero. Your review was really insightful and I really appreciate your work.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks Paul78 for your feedback. Actually I had never reviewed a children's book before so I did a little research on what parents look for in a children's book. That's how I bumped into the research!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 16:37 Loved your review! Very detailed and insightful. If I had a little kid to shop for, I'd definitely buy this one :)
Thanks Bonnie for stopping by and for your positive feedback. Yeah, it's a great children's book!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Jgideon wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 22:38 This is indeed a great review. The choice of colors is great for children books. I love the book.
Thanks Jgideon for reading my review and giving feedback. The book is a gem!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Shrabastee wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 01:59 Your review does not only include an impressive account of the book but also research data on consumer choice! Also, I like the details you provided on how this book can be just perfect for the intended age group and which skills it may help to develop. This review will undoubtedly help the parents and other potential buyers to make the right choice. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for taking time to read my review and giving feedback. I truly appreciate.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 11:01 I think it's a great book for kids. It's not a typical superhero strory where the main focus of the story is the superpowers of the hero. Your review was really insightful and I really appreciate your work.
Yes the book focuses more on everyday activities than super hero stunts. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

One can be a hero by doing simple house chores.I like the way the author redefines the term 'hero'.Thanks for the etailed review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Nma26 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:38 One can be a hero by doing simple house chores.I like the way the author redefines the term 'hero'.Thanks for the etailed review.
Thanks for taking time to read and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

A 2011 survey examining consumer attitudes towards purchasing children’s books reveals that close to 80% of the book purchases are not planned. Of these, 40% are pure impulse! It is almost as if R. D. Base was targeting this enormous proportion of children’s books purchasers in Toni the Superhero! To begin with, she ensures she captures the attention of her audience by a captivating cover picture of a happy Tony in his superhero outfit, with his paraphernalia. Next, she sustains her audience’s attention by fast-tracking Toni’s fun-filled ordinary activities. Being an educational children’s book, the book dwells on life lessons that reinforce positive habits in young children.
I didn’t know that but it’s very interesting! I totally agree that the book is very attractive and it’s an aspect that’s often overlooked in some adult’s books but it’s important to get the attention of the reader and get him to try a great product.
I only wish the book had more of Toni’s superhero activities, to affirm to the children that he really is a superhero. But then again, maybe the lack thereof, of much superhero action provides an opportunity for the child or parent to create his/her own superhero stunts for Toni.
Yes, I find this a little strange and I’m not sure if it’s intentional. Maybe the author will approach Toni’s superheroic aspect in another book, or maybe, as you say, it’s up to the reader and the parent to fill that gap an let the imagination fly.

I loved to read your perspective on this book and I think you add very interesting data, thank you!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the great input! I agree having the reader and parents fill in the gap of Toni's super hero stunts gives the book unlimited side dramas!
-Walt Disney
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It had cute pictures. The pages were colorful. I think a lot of kids will enjoy it. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 22:48 It had cute pictures. The pages were colorful. I think a lot of kids will enjoy it. Great review!
Yeah, the pictures were really cute. Thanks for reading and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”