Review by joycechitwa -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by joycechitwa -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by joycechitwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Drift To Shift” by Jody B. Miller. The title of this book, in my view, does not begin to do justice to the caliber of potent contained within its pages. Granted, it does summarize the book’s core message that life events, whether good or bad, inadvertently align themselves to direct you to your eventual purpose; and that you would do well to recognize and follow these covert signals. However, it absolutely does not capture just how gripping, intense and personally touching the read really is.

Reid Cox is one of my personal favorite business people, so it was a wonderful delight to peek into the life events that got him (and his wife Serita) to their true calling. Next, I cried my heart out –alternately in distress and also for joy – at the story of Emilee Garfield, a cancer survivor. Afterward, bliss and serenity enveloped me as I interacted with the Achar community, nested away deep in the Amazon forest. And then, my heart stopped and I almost forgot to breathe at the harrowing, near-death skydiving experience by Andy.

That’s not all, there’s plenty more in there. You’ve got to read it to appreciate it for yourself. Miller graciously also includes a number of pictures with each narration to drive home the overall impact – like a painting by Darren the paraplegic artist. Whether you are a corporate executive, religious devout, academician, health enthusiast, naturalist or sports fan, you will certainly find a way to connect with the message of “From Drift To Shift”. The bullet-point ‘Takeaways’ the end of each chapter neatly summarize key lessons explored in that chapter, for your leisurely review.

What I loved about the work is that Miller herself took time to have conversations with the people whose stories she shares. It’s not just hearsay or third party reports; and it’s certainly not just imaginary characters and events. This brings a deeper level of authenticity to the work, and infuses courage to the reader that if real, actual people could undergo and overcome such adversity, I certainly have no excuse. I can make it as well, and make it I should, so that I, too, can inspire someone else out there.

The editing of the book was excellent, no spelling error or paragraph misalignment was found. For this good job, I give the book a strong 4 out of 4 rating. I recommend this book to all and sundry because, besides just motivating the reader to overcome adversity, it introduces the reader to a diverse spectrum of life experiences, which broadens the readers mind, making for a rich, fulfilling read.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joycechitwa's review? Post a comment saying so!
JISASON
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by JISASON »

Yes, it enlightens readers, great experiences and enriches their mind
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:

Post by joycechitwa »

JISASON wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:21 Yes, it enlightens readers, great experiences and enriches their mind
Very true. Such kind of books are very good for the soul. :reading-7:
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Looks like the story of many people surviving various life challenges, which makes it a too crowded for me. All the same,I appreciate your review.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Looks like the story of many people surviving various life challenges, which makes it too crowded for me. All the same,I appreciate your review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I admire your review of this book. I too enjoy stories of people overcoming hardships in their lives. The author must be commended for writing such an inspirational book.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:

Post by joycechitwa »

Nma26 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 08:12 Looks like the story of many people surviving various life challenges, which makes it a too crowded for me. All the same,I appreciate your review.
Yeah, the book is a collection of a number of people's stories of triumph over adversity. I would totally understand if this is not your kind of read, there are several others out there that are pretty inspirational without having to tell so many people's stories. Thanks for the comment!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:

Post by joycechitwa »

crediblereading2 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:44 I admire your review of this book. I too enjoy stories of people overcoming hardships in their lives. The author must be commended for writing such an inspirational book.
I believe it's always important to tell stories of overcoming tough challenges. You just never know who your story might speak to and cause them to totally change the direction of their life! This was quite a good one.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

You are right, the cover - including title, of the book, appear so cluttered, I have been dismissing it. Your review has convinced me what a rich resource the book is. I hope to read it.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”