Review by mansinandwani -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mansinandwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mansinandwani.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Review by mansinandwani -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by mansinandwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 3 by H. M. Irwing is the third book in the Heartaches – Bad Boy Vibes series. It outlines the story of Anna Walters-Simmons, a rape victim, and Rafe Luis Brown, a troubled soldier, as they attempt to find solace in the love they have for each other. Having had their shares of hell, Anna and Rafe swear to protect each other against the demons of the past that threaten to haunt their present and future. What follows is a tale of friendship, revenge, betrayal, love and loyalty.

A lot of things about this book disappointed me. To begin with, there is an excessive overuse of metaphors which is extremely frustrating. The events of the past and present are interspersed to such an extent that they leave you feeling disoriented. The lousy writing style makes this book an extremely unpleasant read.

The protagonists are weakly crafted and are not people you can root for. Moreover, all their emotions are conveyed through lengthy descriptions instead of using clever conversation to reveal their personality. The dialogues are poorly written and all the characters in the book end up sounding the same. There is no distinct voice to any of the characters and they have no credibility whatsoever. Personality traits are depicted through narration instead of words and deeds and that makes the characters dull and boring. I could not connect with any of the people in the book despite the author’s clearly visible attempts to bring them to life.

The events in the book don’t seem natural at all. The scene between Anna and Pat after Pat confesses his intention to marry Dan in front of his parents is stretched to an extent where it loses its authenticity and appears unrealistic. There are many such scenes which fail to connect and are so absurd they could and should have been omitted. Even the action scenes are not engrossing.

The book failed to invoke any emotion in me, be it sympathy for the victims or abhorrence for the criminals. The book lacks authenticity and the characters look very artificial. The fancy words, unnecessary descriptions, sudden turn of events, conspiracy, and the unconvincing characters are a disappointment. The plot was flimsy, the narrative lacked luster and the characters were not memorable. In my view, the book still needs a lot of editing.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The book fails to impress.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mansinandwani's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”