Review by Nerea -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s a story about a young priest, Father Francis, from England who was assigned his first priesthood assignment in America. On arrival to the airport he succumbed to some challenges whereby he lacked some legal documents that would allow him admission into the country. His cadre saved him the embarrassment and got him a gate pass. Fr. Francis meets Bill, Fr. William, who later became his close associate. He arrives at his new assigned parish in Florida and meets the Parish Administrator, Martha, who seemed unfriendly. His new environment gets him chills and at some point he gets lost as he navigates through the multiple rooms at his supposedly new home. Bill, Fr. William, helps him to ease up and feel at home. He later became acquainted with activities at the parish and was able to run things pretty well. A most influential Church member and business man tossed an offer to him, which he turned down and got him into big trouble that almost cost him his reputation and life. He had people who appreciated his presence and good work that backed him up in his most trying times. Their support enabled him to fight the monster that had caused lots of pain and damage to people’s lives both physically and spiritually.

The moment I caught a glimpse of the story line I almost thought I was reading the story about the TV series, “IMPOSTER” but to my surprise. I liked how the writer related the bible verses to the events in each chapter, which can be helpful to those who don’t read the bible because it will give them an idea of the contents in the Holy Book. About the pork pie. I think it had an interesting hidden agenda. I thought maybe it’s a taboo in some cultures to feed on a meal prepared from dead animals, my take. The book has fine life lessons, such as, living to people’s expectations can be difficult and challenging sometimes because we are all imperfect and we tend not to keep our promises. The book also revealed that being specific in prayers is very important because it shows the seriousness in your petitions and supplications and the desire to correct a wrong from the heart with utmost sincerity. Something else I learned is that getting chills when about to handle your first assignment is a normal and healthy feeling that majority experience day in day out but by frequent exposure to the task, one gains courage and boldness.

The book has an appealing story with a fine flow of events but nothing is perfect. I disagree with the sentiments in Page 112 [“… Cecil, who has now returned to God.”] Because at death the deceased does not return to God but the dead go to the grave or tomb as the bible reveals in John 5: 28, 29. There was a slight grammar error in Page 207, [“I wonder if you take at look at it for me”] Instead it should be [“I wonder if can take a look at it for me”].

Anyone can read and enjoy the book for it has several life lessons. The humorous quotes and idioms in the book spices up the story causing the reader to want to read without let up.

I rate the book at 3 out of 4 because the flow of the story line is symmetrical and the humor in it isn’t that bad. It has less mistakes, that is, grammar and spelling.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nerea's review? Post a comment saying so!
No Wahala
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I like that there were Bible verses related to each chapter, and the life lessons sound like a bonus also. Thanks for the nice review :)
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Is this based on a true story? Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I perfectly agree with you. Getting chills on your first assignment is perfectly normal.I love that this book reflects that.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 11:50 I like that there were Bible verses related to each chapter, and the life lessons sound like a bonus also. Thanks for the nice review :)
Thank you.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

C-Extra22 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 06:51 I perfectly agree with you. Getting chills on your first assignment is perfectly normal.I love that this book reflects that.
Thank you.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

AmySmiles wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 14:55 Is this based on a true story? Thanks for the review.
No, it isnt. Thank you for checking my review.
No Wahala
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for your comments on this book. I agree about the possible hidden message in the pork pie. The Bible, as well as other religious texts, do warn against eating pork. Science has also proven how truly disgusting these animals are, so it's rather unhealthy to be eating them anyway. I appreciate the review, and your 3 out of 4 stars rating seems justified.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Why the cut fruit and cup picture on the cover page? What does it mean?
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 10:23 Thank you for your comments on this book. I agree about the possible hidden message in the pork pie. The Bible, as well as other religious texts, do warn against eating pork. Science has also proven how truly disgusting these animals are, so it's rather unhealthy to be eating them anyway. I appreciate the review, and your 3 out of 4 stars rating seems justified.
Thank you for checking my review.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 10:36 Why the cut fruit and cup picture on the cover page? What does it mean?
It's not explained in the book. But to my understanding, i think it symbolizes a particular religious group. Thank you for checking my review.
No Wahala

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”