Review by Jmar_la -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by Jmar_la -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Jmar_la »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R.D.Base is about a young lad who is called a superhero. He wears the green tights, with blue knees, and with a big yellow T on his chest. In addition, he wears yellow gloves and a mask to disguise himself. Oh yes, Toni can fly through the air with his red cape and outstretched arms!

Although, he is a superhero, and I am sure he is busy rescuing those in danger, he still has time to stay at home and help his Mom and friends in many different ways. Toni likes to do ordinary tasks as well, and does them with a great big smile. Not one time is he seen complaining about having to do those chores!

I liked this book for several reasons. One, is that it is a beautiful story of a young boy who imagines himself a superhero, yet is willing to do the ordinary, mundane tasks around the house. Second, is how colorful the book is with the use of bright reds, greens, yellows, blues and purples. Third, I liked it because the protagonist is an African American child as well as his friends and neighborhood being multicultural. It is very much in contrast to most superheroes who are seen as Caucasion. Lastly, I liked it because the illustrations are busy enough to be able to talk with children about other things going on in the pictures and illicit other discussions with the children. The book shows Toni very active, and not once mentions TV or video games, encouraging the children to be more active at home and in the neighborhood. I gave this book, Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base, a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because of the content, the illustrations, the desire to have a book appealing to the very small of us.

For very young readers, the repetition of each sentence is good. They would not be able to read the words, but could still repeat after the one who is reading to them and then add some of their own ideas from their own experiences.

I noticed in the story that there were some activities that Toni did without having his superhero outfit on. All the activities except two, were done in his superhero costume. I think as a child is looking at this, it might conjure up all kinds of questions, but then again, it might be a positive discussion explaining that with or without his costume Toni is still a superhero.

As I read through the book I did not see any editing problems, good spelling, good use of words.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jmar_la's review? Post a comment saying so!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Great review. Good point about him not wearing his super hero outfit on all of the pages. I've read the book too. It's a pretty cute book.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”