Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Orphaned at a young age, seventeen year old Darwin Hastings is brought up by his aunt. Now that she is dying, he is sent to New York to live with his cousin who is a famous wealthy football player. Darwin is excited and afraid; he yearns for the love he received from his parents before they died and become a doctor like his late father. But in his new home, crooks, and wealthy deviants abound. Time and again he is thwarted in his search for selfless love. Further in his quest to become a doctor, he not only discovers the altruism of health care but also comes face-to-face with the murky side of the medical world. Will Darwin be able to achieve his dreams and more importantly, will he find love?

With such a brilliant premise, one would have expected the author to churn out an engaging novel. But sadly, Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles is the opposite of engaging. Often, I required an extra push to keep on reading. The author is a miser with his words, which results in a monotonous narrative. I felt as if a robot was telling me this story. I was unable to forge a connection to any of the characters.

The first chapter of the novel portrays Darwin to be a meek and lonely teenager. However, if the reader expects that the novel essays the metamorphosis of a timid boy into a confident individual, then she is wrong as this change happens within the first few chapters itself. His extraordinary maturity right from the moment he steps into his wealthy cousin's mansion is hard to believe. Not at all, did he seem like a teenager who is at the crossroads of his destiny. The author depicts none of the emotional turmoil that the protagonist goes through as he suffers from loneliness, neglect from his guardian, heartbreak et cetera. Besides, the author does not adequately describe the details of the surroundings. For instance, when Darwin first enters his wealthy cousin's mansion, other than a brief description of the gates, nothing else is mentioned.

Further, there is minimal character development. There are numerous characters in this novel, none of which are fleshed out properly. Some of these characters pop in and out without any explanation. Additionally, to stretch the novel, useless plot points have been introduced. For example, a murder mystery at the end of the novel seemed forced to me. I could not understand its significance - if it was to show that Darwin's so-called guardian is a deviant, then the preceding chapters had well established that, hence it was redundant; and if this mystery was included to create intimacy between two sidekicks, then it was a failure again.

The reading experience is also jarred by the fact that weeks and months pass between two chapters or succeeding events which is confusing. For instance, all of a sudden, readers get to know that Darwin is getting married. What made Darwin say yes to this marriage, what qualities in his wife enticed him - nothing is articulated upon. Lastly, the author has tried to deal with many complex issues here such as adultery, gambling and sexual harassment but has done justice to none.

However, Darwin's relationship with his cousin's grandmother and his cousin's wife are genuine and endearing. These two are the only people (out of the numerous characters present in this novel) who selflessly love Darwin and care for him. Moreover, Darwin is a do-gooder and tries to help everyone. This is the principal reason why people take a liking to him. Towards the climax of the novel, some philosophical nuggets have been shared by the author which will appeal to many.

There is only one word that can sum up the experience of reading this novel - disappointing. However, if the reader can somehow digest the mechanical nature of this book and Darwin's miraculous propensity for sage-like wisdom and maturity at such an impressionable age, then she can go for it. I found only two errors which do not have an impact on the reading experience. Thus, I rate this novel a 2 out of 4. Please be informed that there are some adult-only content present.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Debjani Ghosh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

Ouch. Well, it's brutal but candid review. The name of the book is actually unique and that made me think I'd like to read the book. I guess the saying: don't judge a book by it's cover, or name in this case, still holds strong and true. I guess the name of this book is deceptive after all. Thanks for your honest review. Saved me some valuable time.
Agumagu
Currently Reading: Understanding Unlimited Power of Faith
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Agumagu »

Before writing a novel the author should know how to get the attention of the reader so from here i think the author is doing petty well
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for stopping by!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I had the exact same reaction to this book. Your review puts it eloquently, and "disappointing" sums it up!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a disappointment! I would have loved to see more developed characters, which would draw me into consummating this book. I appreciate your honest review. Thanks.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Crainbow wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 04:53 Ouch. Well, it's brutal but candid review. The name of the book is actually unique and that made me think I'd like to read the book. I guess the saying: don't judge a book by it's cover, or name in this case, still holds strong and true. I guess the name of this book is deceptive after all. Thanks for your honest review. Saved me some valuable time.
Before picking up the book, I had thought that it will be different but sadly it was disappointing. Thanks for stopping by!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Julie Green wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 01:23 I had the exact same reaction to this book. Your review puts it eloquently, and "disappointing" sums it up!
Glad to know someone else also agrees with me. :) Thanks for stopping by!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 02:11 What a disappointment! I would have loved to see more developed characters, which would draw me into consummating this book. I appreciate your honest review. Thanks.
Yes, weak character development is the major drawback of this book. Thanks for stopping by!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

What a well-written review! Sadly I believe I will skip this book. I have read 2 others by the same author that were maybe not my favorites that I've read so far on Online Book Club, but I did enjoy them ("The Surgeon's Wife", and "McDowell"). Perhaps he was able to add more depth to the characters on those books I just mentioned, as the author is a surgeon, and so are the main characters in both of these books.
Again, great job on the review! :tiphat:
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

fernsmom wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 06:31 What a well-written review! Sadly I believe I will skip this book. I have read 2 others by the same author that were maybe not my favorites that I've read so far on Online Book Club, but I did enjoy them ("The Surgeon's Wife", and "McDowell"). Perhaps he was able to add more depth to the characters on those books I just mentioned, as the author is a surgeon, and so are the main characters in both of these books.
Again, great job on the review! :tiphat:
Thanks for dropping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”