Review by dor1216 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dori Lee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dori-lee.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by dor1216 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Dori Lee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Akira is a former geisha turned assassin for Mitsui San. Her employer has one final assignment for her to gain her freedom. She must board a cruise ship to eliminate the killer of Mitsui San’s sister.

On her journey she meets Devon, the nephew of one of her suspects and decides to use him to get close to her and her husband. Then the unexpected happens and she falls in love with him. All this time there is a watcher on board tracking her movements and those of the suspects.

The beginning of this story was intriguing and action filled. It started with Akira contemplating an assignment she just completed. I was hopeful that it would continue with the action and suspense. After boarding the ship, unfortunately, it was disappointing. I had expected more of a back story on Akira, but was only given short glimpses. I felt lost and could not feel like she was the heroine she should or could have been.

When she meets Devon, there was more disappointment waiting for me. I am used to reading books with strong women and men. However, Devon seemed to be less than strong and completely enamored and under Akira’s spell with no thoughts or will of his own. The love story seemed to happen way too quickly as well. I also had a problem with a grown man sharing a cabin with his aunt and uncle but hiding his feelings from them. The intimate scenes were also more like teenage first times than adults enjoying themselves. The other characters were more appealing to me than the main characters.

The suspense in the story was much better. Twists and turns helped keep me interested. I was much more intrigued with whether she would find her target and complete her assignment. If she completed the assignment, would she be free? The watcher was also an interesting twist. Who was the watcher watching?

In the end, if you disregard the love story it was a good suspense story. I feel Devon could have been more of a stronger man. It does need a little more character development. This is the fourth book in the series, but was supposed to be readable as a standalone. Maybe if I had read the first three, I may have a different opinion. For these reasons I must give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dor1216's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”