Review by Editor01 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Editor01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-editor01.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by Editor01 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Editor01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I find the combination of various elements of the past and present from Yesterday clever. As Mark and Amanda assess their injuries at Ed Morgen store, they both get a feeling that they had met before. Their feelings strengthen from the moment when Amanda buys an eighteenth-century clock. From my point of view, they both felt love at first sight even though Amanda was hesitant. Amanda lives with a psychiatrist called Mary who happens to be her godmother. In the same house, there lives a cat called Oprah.

I enjoyed the regressions about Amanda's past, especially on how she lost her parents and boyfriend. It is because of the death of those she loved that she seems to be afraid of being romantically involved with Mark. Mary exemplifies good godmother characteristics by helping Amanda to learn good lessons about life by telling her what happened in the past while she was a young girl called Bonnie. Ben was Bonnie’s father and he lived in Virginia with his cousin called Jack. Just like in Amanda’s case, unfortunately, Bonnie’s parents died. Mary’s teachings and Mark’s true love teaches Amanda the truth about life despite her condition she despised.

I find the sexual relationship between Amanda and Callahan useless because she allows her past to prevent her from falling in love. Mark’s patience for Amanda is admirable. This book is sensational because it has many characters but only Mark seems to play the most integral role in Amanda’s life as she struggles to find the connection between the two of them. The revelation of some details in this novel as real like the angel bells, St. Michael’s church, and other artifacts greatly blew my mind.

Samyann explicitly describes the historical era in this book as a civil war in America and Chicago fire using imagery and remarkable suspense. This combination of such language figures like the combination of narration with dialogue keeps the reader engaged and makes Yesterday even more interesting. I would cite this use of language when recommending the novel to other people. Yesterday would be appealing for students in higher high school and higher institutions and other individuals interested in books with fictional content. However, I would not recommend it for children and older adults.

Finally, I find this story very detailed, excellent, and as a true reflection of a story within a story of a different historical period. The feeling of Amanda and Mark falling in love stayed in my memory for a long time even after completing this book. The only thing did not stratify my analysis was the author’s desire to show creativity while developing the content. There was a lot of space for better content to earn a full score rating. For the content, language, clarity, figures of speech, and suspense established by this novel, I would give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Editor01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”