Review by JHuschle519 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Post Reply
User avatar
JHuschle519
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 01:20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by JHuschle519 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by JHuschle519 » 18 Jul 2018, 08:12

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a fast-paced book that keeps your curiosity peeked from start to finish. It can easily turn into a single night read. The author starts you off near the end of the tale, and immediately makes you want to know the rest of the story of Alex Fine.

Alex Fine grew up an orphan, first by circumstance, and later by choice. At 18, on the verge of adulthood, he makes a discovery about himself that changes everything. An extraordinary new power gives Alex the ability to reshape his life in almost any way he desires. All he needs is a computer and an internet connection to transport himself anywhere in the world, and possibly do a whole lot more. The question is, what will he do with these newfound gifts?

At times, Superhighway seems like it wants to be a superhero story, but it never quite gets there. The protagonist has a very conflicting nature, making the reader switch back and forth between loving and hating his actions. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I feel it forces the reader to examine themselves, and think hard about what they would do if they were placed in the same situation. If the reader could do almost anything, what would they choose to do?

This book is not just about a teenager with abilities, however. It is also the story of a boy’s journey to becoming a man. Alex experiences many ‘firsts’ during his travels. If I had read this book as a teenager, I probably would have applauded most of Alex’s actions, and blamed any negative fallout on bad luck. As an adult though, I wanted nothing more than to reach into the pages stop him from making some terrible choices. That’s one of the great things about this story. We’ve all been there, and we can relate.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was great, and the protagonist was relatable, but I was not a huge fan of most of the supporting characters. Many of them seemed rather one-dimensional, and the dialogue between characters was not very thrilling. I hope to see more character development in the remaining two books of the trilogy. This book would probably not be a good fit for readers who thrive on character interaction. If the most important thing is a unique, thought provoking plot, then it’s the perfect fit.

******
Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like JHuschle519's review? Post a comment saying so!

User avatar
DancingLady
Posts: 283
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 10:31
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady » 18 Jul 2018, 23:01

I reviewed this one too. Your review has a different perspective than mine which is great. I personally didn’t relate to Alex since I have lived a very different life, but I sure liked the idea of traveling through the Internet, that was cool.

User avatar
JHuschle519
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 01:20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 » 22 Jul 2018, 21:17

DancingLady wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 23:01
I reviewed this one too. Your review has a different perspective than mine which is great. I personally didn’t relate to Alex since I have lived a very different life, but I sure liked the idea of traveling through the Internet, that was cool.
Hi DancingLady, thanks for taking the time to check out my review. It's much appreciated. Looking back at my review, I suppose it was a bit of an exaggeration on my part to say "we have all been there." It probably would be more accurate to say "a lot of us have been there." I'll make sure to check out your review as well. I always love to see other people's opinions on books. Thanks again.

User avatar
FictionLover
Posts: 509
Joined: 16 May 2018, 20:50
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading: How To Develop Good Study Habits
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Tante Minnie by Marilyn Parker
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 16 Oct 2018, 19:38

At times, Superhighway seems like it wants to be a superhero story, but it never quite gets there. The protagonist has a very conflicting nature, making the reader switch back and forth between loving and hating his actions. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I feel it forces the reader to examine themselves, and think hard about what they would do if they were placed in the same situation. If the reader could do almost anything, what would they choose to do? ...

The plot was great, and the protagonist was relatable, but I was not a huge fan of most of the supporting characters. Many of them seemed rather one-dimensional, and the dialogue between characters was not very thrilling.


I agree that Alex is a very flawed character who you start out liking and rooting for, and you end up being a bit angry with him

And the secondary characters did seem one-dimensional. I also disliked the non-ending ending, so I won't be reading volume two.

:stormtrooper:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

User avatar
JHuschle519
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 01:20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 » 23 Oct 2018, 01:14

FictionLover wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:38
At times, Superhighway seems like it wants to be a superhero story, but it never quite gets there. The protagonist has a very conflicting nature, making the reader switch back and forth between loving and hating his actions. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I feel it forces the reader to examine themselves, and think hard about what they would do if they were placed in the same situation. If the reader could do almost anything, what would they choose to do? ...

The plot was great, and the protagonist was relatable, but I was not a huge fan of most of the supporting characters. Many of them seemed rather one-dimensional, and the dialogue between characters was not very thrilling.


I agree that Alex is a very flawed character who you start out liking and rooting for, and you end up being a bit angry with him

And the secondary characters did seem one-dimensional. I also disliked the non-ending ending, so I won't be reading volume two.

:stormtrooper:
I actually just got done reviewing the second book, and if you didn't like the first one it was probably a good idea that you didn't move on to the second one. It had a very similar feel to it. On the other hand, those who enjoyed the first one were most likely fans of the second one as well.

User avatar
FictionLover
Posts: 509
Joined: 16 May 2018, 20:50
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading: How To Develop Good Study Habits
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Tante Minnie by Marilyn Parker
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 23 Oct 2018, 07:17

JHuschle519 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 01:14
FictionLover wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:38
At times, Superhighway seems like it wants to be a superhero story, but it never quite gets there. The protagonist has a very conflicting nature, making the reader switch back and forth between loving and hating his actions. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I feel it forces the reader to examine themselves, and think hard about what they would do if they were placed in the same situation. If the reader could do almost anything, what would they choose to do? ...

The plot was great, and the protagonist was relatable, but I was not a huge fan of most of the supporting characters. Many of them seemed rather one-dimensional, and the dialogue between characters was not very thrilling.


I agree that Alex is a very flawed character who you start out liking and rooting for, and you end up being a bit angry with him

And the secondary characters did seem one-dimensional. I also disliked the non-ending ending, so I won't be reading volume two.

:stormtrooper:
I actually just got done reviewing the second book, and if you didn't like the first one it was probably a good idea that you didn't move on to the second one. It had a very similar feel to it. On the other hand, those who enjoyed the first one were most likely fans of the second one as well.
Superhighway was one of those books that I wished was better. There have been books (some I've read here) that I just didn't like, which I thought were written badly or had huge plot holes, and couldn't wait to finish just so I would be done with them. Superhighway wasn't like that for me.

Though he had his flaws and did some dumb things, I was willing to go along with a lot of it. But when the author pushes it by having him appear and disappear on a isolated deserted island, and has him show up back in town as a billionaire, as if a savvy law firm isn't going to check up on him, then I felt like I was being pushed too far.

I look forward to reading your review because I do want to know what happens next, but not enough to read it myself.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

User avatar
JHuschle519
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 01:20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 » 23 Oct 2018, 07:25

FictionLover wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 07:17
JHuschle519 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 01:14
FictionLover wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:38


I agree that Alex is a very flawed character who you start out liking and rooting for, and you end up being a bit angry with him

And the secondary characters did seem one-dimensional. I also disliked the non-ending ending, so I won't be reading volume two.

:stormtrooper:
I actually just got done reviewing the second book, and if you didn't like the first one it was probably a good idea that you didn't move on to the second one. It had a very similar feel to it. On the other hand, those who enjoyed the first one were most likely fans of the second one as well.
Superhighway was one of those books that I wished was better. There have been books (some I've read here) that I just didn't like, which I thought were written badly or had huge plot holes, and couldn't wait to finish just so I would be done with them. Superhighway wasn't like that for me.

Though he had his flaws and did some dumb things, I was willing to go along with a lot of it. But when the author pushes it by having him appear and disappear on a isolated deserted island, and has him show up back in town as a billionaire, as if a savvy law firm isn't going to check up on him, then I felt like I was being pushed too far.

I look forward to reading your review because I do want to know what happens next, but not enough to read it myself.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
You're right. These books definitely have room for improvement. If there is anything about the second book that you are curious about (that's not in my review), feel free to send me a message.

User avatar
jjmainor
Posts: 201
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 23:58
Currently Reading: Bug Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by jjmainor » 23 Oct 2018, 22:07

FictionLover wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 07:17
JHuschle519 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 01:14
FictionLover wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:38


I agree that Alex is a very flawed character who you start out liking and rooting for, and you end up being a bit angry with him

And the secondary characters did seem one-dimensional. I also disliked the non-ending ending, so I won't be reading volume two.

:stormtrooper:
I actually just got done reviewing the second book, and if you didn't like the first one it was probably a good idea that you didn't move on to the second one. It had a very similar feel to it. On the other hand, those who enjoyed the first one were most likely fans of the second one as well.
Superhighway was one of those books that I wished was better. There have been books (some I've read here) that I just didn't like, which I thought were written badly or had huge plot holes, and couldn't wait to finish just so I would be done with them. Superhighway wasn't like that for me.

Though he had his flaws and did some dumb things, I was willing to go along with a lot of it. But when the author pushes it by having him appear and disappear on a isolated deserted island, and has him show up back in town as a billionaire, as if a savvy law firm isn't going to check up on him, then I felt like I was being pushed too far.

I look forward to reading your review because I do want to know what happens next, but not enough to read it myself.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Superhighway 2 for me was the book I wished the first one was.

User avatar
JHuschle519
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 01:20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 » 24 Oct 2018, 00:05

jjmainor wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 22:07
FictionLover wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 07:17
JHuschle519 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 01:14


I actually just got done reviewing the second book, and if you didn't like the first one it was probably a good idea that you didn't move on to the second one. It had a very similar feel to it. On the other hand, those who enjoyed the first one were most likely fans of the second one as well.
Superhighway was one of those books that I wished was better. There have been books (some I've read here) that I just didn't like, which I thought were written badly or had huge plot holes, and couldn't wait to finish just so I would be done with them. Superhighway wasn't like that for me.

Though he had his flaws and did some dumb things, I was willing to go along with a lot of it. But when the author pushes it by having him appear and disappear on a isolated deserted island, and has him show up back in town as a billionaire, as if a savvy law firm isn't going to check up on him, then I felt like I was being pushed too far.

I look forward to reading your review because I do want to know what happens next, but not enough to read it myself.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Superhighway 2 for me was the book I wished the first one was.

I have high hopes for the third one when it becomes available.

Post Reply

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”