Review by Roggyrus -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by Roggyrus -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Roggyrus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 2 is the second novel of the Bad Vibes series by H. M. Irwing, set in the
Upper Strata of Australian society, or else, of the Upper Middle of that social hierarchy. Two down-trodden souls sort out their lives, in the hope to retain their self-respect and learn some lessons therefrom, but now with the resolve to extract vengeance on those responsible for their misfortunes. Anna Simmons and Rafael Brown found themselves victims of the same group of people, or of interrelated events, that made them spiteful of their past, while now struggling to build a future together, in love and understanding, despite the odds hurled against them by the adverse circumstances in their lives.

Firstly, Rafe has to fight, against his family, against his superior officer, and against himself. He has that dark side in him that he has to contend with. And Anna is still perturbed by a past relationship that has left its imprint, so unsettling for the one at present. Will they be able to breeze out of their troubles without adding more harm to themselves? Will they ever get the vengeance that their hearts desire?

It is interesting to note how the author created a semblance of reality in this intriguing drama of love, of even dark or perverted love, amidst an era of revolution in social consciousness. This is a coming-of-age novel depicting bisexuality, homosexuality, sadism, and other perversions to adulterate the usual heterosexual experience. However, the treatment of familiarity towards these topics is striking, how casually everything just comes to pass. This leads to the sex scenes coming out so naturally without much fanfare, so as not to be a distraction from the main storyline.

I was first tempted to assume that the title Heartaches 2 would necessarily mean all sufferings for the main characters, but as the story advances, I was delighted to come across little triumphs achieved by the good guys, progressing towards an expected vindication that, I presume, any reader would wish to see. And that could add to the enjoyment.

Heartaches 2 would impress anyone with the clarity of its writing style, thorough editing, and relevance to the present-day reality. The manner by which the characters were developed, relates of emboldened females and empowered men of wealth and influence, so rampant in this modern times. The characters of Rafe and Anna may have physical attributes that could endow them some power of sorts, but they will be pitted against an organized, formidable foe, making the sequences of the novel more interesting to read. And the side plots could be said as complementary to the achievement of the climactic point in the novel.

I readily give Heartaches 2 a rating of 4 out of 4 stars with the recommendation for the reading pleasure of romance novel fans who are no longer of minor age.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Roggyrus's review? Post a comment saying so!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Interesting review!
I´m reading this one too because I started with Heartaches 3. This one has much better editing, apparently.
I´d have to disagree with your idea of "perversions", unless, of course, you mean the rapists.
Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”