Review by mkkeane97 -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mkkeane97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkkeane97.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by mkkeane97 -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by mkkeane97 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this short story Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates the Universe, Zarqnon the Embarrassed constructs quite the tale of creation. Paired with abstract illustrations by Frank Louis Allen, this short story may appear like it’s meant for kids, but the quantum physics elements and the language used makes it obvious that it’s meant for a much older, much more educated audience. That being said, it did mix fun rhymes and rhythms that Dr. Seuss is known and loved for with the abstract thought and ideas that were uniquely Zarqnon. The story and illustration reminded me a lot of Phantom Tollbooth.

Before getting into the story, there’s a forward from the author, Zarqnon the Embarrassed, as well as the illustrator Frank Louis Allen. Both the author and illustrator are on the autism spectrum and the illustrator is legally blind and I think this is interesting supplementary information heading into this story.

Of Zots and Xoodles gives an inventive Dr. Seuss-esque take on the creation of the universe. Theodil demonstrates how the universe could be formed from the floating dots disembodied from a pair of di he rolls that the Voices from the Committee call “Zots”.

I was very endeared by the first line: “It would have been sometime after breakfast on a Tuesday, if Tuesdays existed.” It’s such a whimsical, memorable way to start a story. Odd enough, it’s kind of jaded, too. Time is a social construct and all that totally endearing social constructionism sort of stuff.

And, I suppose, maybe if you aren’t grabbed by the first line—if you’d roll your eyes at it instead—then maybe this story isn’t for you. But if you are confused or intrigued by it and care to read on, to satisfy that curiosity and ease (or flare up) your confusion, I would definitely recommend it, which is why I would give Of Zots and Xoodles a 4 out of 4 stars.

In Zarqnon’s forward, he says, “Stretching outside preconceived paradigms gives us the flexibility to experience divergent concepts within paradoxical work frames,” and I’ve concluded that this is the best idea to approach this work with. Don’t abandon what you already think you know. Zarqnon doesn’t, but he explores the knowledge he already has. Truly, he’s fulfilling what every high school English teacher wishes upon their students’ essays and expands on his ideas, developing them thoroughly. This story is nostalgic and Theodil has the potential to become a timeless character.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mkkeane97's review? Post a comment saying so!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I too believe this to be more of a children's book until I began reading it.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”