Review by kiki2881 -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kiki2881
Currently Reading: The diary of a little girl
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki2881.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Review by kiki2881 -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by kiki2881 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shay Carter tells us a coming-of-age story about Randy Love. He's a young gentleman, who is at the very point of his life where he thinks he should no longer live with his father and have a life of his own. He begins his journey to the real world by finding an apartment and doing gigs refered by a staffing agency. Then luck knocks on his door and a regular position in a small banking firm is offered to him—not bad for a beginner. Randy has always been irresistable to women, but none of his relationships with them is meaningful. He indulges himself with sex, if not around with his mates reveling at some pubs. He's closed off on being emotionally attached to anyone, and that makes him move from an apartment to another.

The theme of Randy Love at Your Service reminded me of J. D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. The antagonists from different novels had similarities in their character from exploring their sexualities, to not knowing what they wanted and what was best for their lives. Randy Love got me because of that. He seemed loveable in a way that his shortsightedness and dumb actions made the story even funnier. It actually brought me back to my highschool memories where I had too much of my self confidence and I thought I already knew everything. It was relatable, and that was what I liked the most about it.

There were things, however, that hindered me from giving it a high rating, other than the fact that Catcher in the Rye was a hundred times way better. First, there were narratives, which weren't so important, that should've been taken off. I also thought that the whole chapter 7 had no significance, that when we remove it, it will never affect the flow of the story. The way the narrator told the story was tiresome. I was expecting it to reek the characters' feelings since it was omnipresent, but it failed. The narrator was like it could only tell the characters' series of actions, and had no power to see what they truly felt. Another was I couldn't see the connection of the preface to the whole novel. It emphasized Randy's sister's character, which in the novel had only two short roles. From all the characters there, I bet she had the shortest part in Randy's life.

When it comes to grammar, I found some misplaced modifiers in some sentences. And what I hated the most was that the commas were placed after the conjuctions. I thought the first few were typos, until I realized the writer really meant to place them there.

Randy Love at Your Service receives a 2 out of 4 stars. I won't deny I enjoyed the novel somehow, but there was a part of me saying that reading this book was a waste of time, or maybe the purpose of it was to kill time. I don't recommend this to grammar nazis, and anyone expecting to learn something from a book. For those who want to kill time with a short and funny material, here's the book for you.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kiki2881's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”