Review by Lee_Reads -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by Lee_Reads -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Lee_Reads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks by Len Foley will gross your kids out! It will have them pinching their nose and cringing. And it's sure to make them laugh until they cry, as they read about Sigfried's stinky socks.

Sigfried notices that one of his books smells dreadful. As he searches for the answer, he discovers stains on all the pages of his book. His family members including - Oscar the dog, his brother Sherman, baby sister Piper, and uncle Kato are to blame. But when he encounters a pile of unwashed socks under his bed, he begins to question the origin of the odor. Then, he begins sniffing every sock under his bed and creates a brilliant plan. How will Siegfried remedy his stinky situation?

This book includes key elements that make it easy for children to read. First, the subject matter consists of everyday objects such as; dirty socks and ketchup stains. This makes Sigfried’s Smelly Socks easy for children to quickly understand. Also, the rhyme in the text aid in assisting the reader to quickly figure out the next word in the sentence.

Also, the illustrations in the book are adorable, expressive, and playful. Some of the characters in the story have goofy, wiggly legs and arms. Not to mention Sigfried’s expressions are hilarious. At first, I wasn’t sure about how the author included both illustration and photographs. But, I think the realistic stains make it easy for the reader to grasp and it creates a grossness that cannot be depicted in a drawing. Overall, I think it works out well.

My favorite part of the story was the surprise ending. This makes Sigfried’s Smelly Socks a book to be remembered. It is sure to make you giggle. This is a book that young readers will return to again and again for laughs. Sometimes all it takes is a comical book, like this one, to spark a child’s interest in reading. This could be the book that gets a child thrilled about learning to read. For a struggling reader, this one could be life-changing.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is fit for ages 3-7. I think most kids would appreciate Sigfried’s Smelly Socks because it has many amusing illustrations and is an engaging story. For a parent or a teacher, this is unmistakably a book to consider for the bookshelf. But I’ll warn you again, it is a little gross.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lee_Reads's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”