Review by Jmar_la -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by Jmar_la -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Jmar_la »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Altitude Journals A Seven-Year Journey From the Lowest Point in My Life to the Highest Point on Earth by David J. Mauro is a great read! It is about a man whose life has taken a turn for the worst and is invited by his friend to climb Denali, the highest mountain in North America. The remarkable thing is that during his years in school he had not shown any ability for sports. He was always too slow, could not run, and so he had given up that kind of thing. On this particular climb, he goes along with his friend Ty, who is a television anchor, and others as a pedestrian climber. He trains for it, and with encouragement, bests it. When he finishes climbing Dinali, he senses a calling from Mount Kilimanjaro in Kenya. This is a somewhat different climb, due to the different terrain and climate. Still, it spurs him on to more climbing and he is now in the ranks of the altitude climbers. The story is about his call to climb the mountains, his training regimen, and what happens during the climbs as he advances up each mountain. During each of the climbs, he learns life lessons and grows into the person he can celebrate.

This was a great read for me. I am not drawn to non-fiction, but this author told his personal story in such a way that I could not put it down. When I first looked at it and saw all the places he had been, I was intrigued, because I had been to some of those places, or for sure had heard of them. I like that he is so open about his life and shares with his audience the ups and downs he experiences; the successes and failures which cause him to grow as a person.

I really cannot think of what I did not like. I like that when he would tell about climbing the mountain his description of it and what was happening in the climb was so vivid, I really felt I could envision everything. If he talked about the equipment used, he would explain very clearly what each was for and how the climbers would use them.. He would share with us the political atmosphere of each place if needed to get a fuller picture of what he and his team would be facing. I appreciated his respect for the other climbers and also for the native climbers they would be using as guides, such as the Serpas from Nepal.

Here is a quote from David Mauro, that to me summed up the book, and his life, as he faced the challenges of each of the mountains he climbed.
“Along the way, I learned that a person does not come to believe in himself by climbing mountains, but by facing his problems. I learned that the only way to truly experience love is to risk your heart completely. I was shown the courage to live genuinely and the power of forgiveness. My path taught me to listen, trust, and act; to place the success of others before my own; and to value the potential for making a difference in the life of a child.”

I will definitely give this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating because it was so well written and the content is so entertaining. This book would appeal to anyone, whether they prefer fiction or non-fiction. Also, it would appeal to
those who are adventurous and those who are not so very active.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jmar_la's review? Post a comment saying so!
history100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-history100.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by history100 »

I also enjoyed the book but found some sections confusing. Why did he include the part about doing improv with Ryan Stiles? That theme was never developed and felt like the author was just name dropping rather adding another layer of interest or complexity. Thanks for the review. I like to see what other reviewers have to say after I have finished reviewing the same book.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds very interesting. I might just have to look into this one. Thanks for the review I am glad you enjoyed it.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I definitely want to read this book. I've read a few reviews of it now and all have good things to say about it!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the review. This seems to be an interesting read. I too am not normally drawn towards non-fiction but seems to be drawn after your review
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I loved this book.It was hard to put down. I liked that he added pictures with it. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I thought the title was "The Attitude Journals". After reading your review, I see the title is actually The Altitude Journals. I like how you said that the author shares his learning experiences and descriptions of climbing different mountains. I like the quote you mentioned:
Here is a quote from David Mauro, that to me summed up the book, and his life, as he faced the challenges of each of the mountains he climbed.
“Along the way, I learned that a person does not come to believe in himself by climbing mountains, but by facing his problems. I learned that the only way to truly experience love is to risk your heart completely. I was shown the courage to live genuinely and the power of forgiveness. My path taught me to listen, trust, and act; to place the success of others before my own; and to value the potential for making a difference in the life of a child.”

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”