Review by Rosemary Khathibe -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Review by Rosemary Khathibe -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 2 by H.M Irwing is romance novel and a second book of the Bad Boy Vibes
Series
. The book indeed portrays what it has promised to deliver, which is romance in all its glitters.

It all started with Peter Preston sending one of his sons, Matt to lure Anna in for him as a payment to her stepbrother's debt, Brian. Matt chose to be in a relationship with Anna for six months before taking her to both his brother and his father, who were drug dealers. Oblivious to her danger, Anna fell in love with him. She was then drugged with the scent given to her by the said boyfriend. The scent was from his father for the same purpose. Peter and both of his sons raped her. Thereafter, they dumped her unconscious body on the road, only to be found by strangers who rushed her to the hospital. Her soul was broken to the core by someone she thought was her true love.

On the journey to recovery from this heartbreaking experience, Anna lunged for revenge with her new boyfriend, army trainer, Rafael. Unfortunetly for Rafe, he learned that he was Peter'son, his girlfriend's rapist, his aunt's boyfriend and a friend to his previous abuser,Eric. Anna met Rafe during the collaboration between Rafe's aunt and her aunt.With Anna's idea, Rafe seeked revenge through a kickboxing with Eric and eventually won. Later the same day, Anna also got into a fight with her ex boyfriend, Matt. Heartaches 2 ended where Anna and Rafe were planning their last blow of revenge to the Prestons and Eric.I also enjoyed reading about other characters like Pat and Dan on the journey of their gay relationship.

I find Heartaches 2 good in the manner that it teaches self defense for fighters. It instructs that while fighting with the enemy, one should not show any signs of anger as it blinds his or her judgment to fight with ease. This book really delivers romance as intended. Even though there is little action here and there, each chapter is filled with the love both Rafe and Anna shared. They played games, such as, badminton. They were always trying their level best to make their relationship work, even though they both had ripped souls.

I also like the fact that the young couple protected each other against their abusers. For instance, Anna dropped the case against the Prestons when Eric threatened Rafe's life. At the same time, Rafe was keeping an eye on Anna's every movement by sending one of his guys to ensure her safety. Whenever she was with Rafe, Anna always felt the sense of protection against her haunting nightmares. I also like the fact that the story is unpredictable. This is observed when there was an intruder in Rafe's cabin in the middle of the night with Anna alone inside, only to find out it was Rafe coming home from the hospital. Grammatical errors are also rare in the book. It seems to have been professionally edited and proofread.

Unfortunately, Heartaches 2 has some drawbacks. Pat, Anna's gay best friend, persuaded Anna to leave her boyfriend unpatched after a horrific fight with Eric, to submit an assignment and to attend a class. However, they met Matt on their way and Anna started a fight with him. Pat did not stop her although time was running low for assignment submission and a class. Even after a fight, Anna just went back to her boyfriend, the main cause that took her away from him in the first place long forgotten. This part is somehow twisted and requires an edit.

Another issue that needs some clearing is when Rafe requested his mother's ring from Pat with an intention of popping a big question to Anna. The question is, how did the ring that belonged to Rafe's mother end up in Pat's hands? It seems like some details providing a thorough story on this part were left out. For the reasons above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. All in all, it is a very good romance book, it just needs some small portion of editing here and there to deserve 4 stars.

Heartaches 2 comprises swearing, sex scenes, violence, rape and the use of drugs. As a result, I recommend the book to people above the age of 16. Again, those who love romance would enjoy this book.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Khathibe's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice review. It is true that one should always aim not to be angry especially when confronted. The issue of looking out for each other is also amazing. If the above areas you have highlighted are addresses, I bet this book will be perfect.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 23:42 This is a nice review. It is true that one should always aim not to be angry especially when confronted. The issue of looking out for each other is also amazing. If the above areas you have highlighted are addresses, I bet this book will be perfect.
Thanks, it is really nice. I even read it again even after the review. Romace novels like this will be the death of me.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Great to hear. It is nice to see when a book you just picked for review becomes one of your favorites and hence you keep on reading it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Romance is not my genre, but it does sound like this one has some plot depth.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I just finished the first book and I can't wait to see what happens in the second. Great review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 10:38 Romance is not my genre, but it does sound like this one has some plot depth.
It is really nice, you should give it a try. I bet you will have a different perspective about romance then.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Amy+++ wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 10:57 I just finished the first book and I can't wait to see what happens in the second. Great review.
There is no doubt you coudn't put it down like me. I bet the second is as nice as this one.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

I mean, the second is even more nice.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I get what you mean. Lol. I am definitely hooked on this series.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Poor Anna, i remember how i used to steal my mom's romantic novels read them all day. Great review
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Asavela wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 16:35 Poor Anna, i remember how i used to steal my mom's romantic novels read them all day. Great review
You remind me of myself when I was younger too. I used to read romance novels even in class. And the teacher was always catching me red handed under the desk. Lol.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Lol same as me, used to hide the novel inside the textbook lol
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I read this book and, sadly, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. However, this was a very detailed and honest review, so thank you for sharing it!😊
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Morgan Jones wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 22:01 I read this book and, sadly, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. However, this was a very detailed and honest review, so thank you for sharing it!😊
Thanks for your comment, it's really encouraging. Since I'm new in this field I found myself embarrassed with this review after reading so many official ones. 🙈But I will get better with time.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”