Review by bb587 -- Devilish by Tricia Barr

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Review by bb587 -- Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devilish" by Tricia Barr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devilish by Tricia Barr is a guilty-pleasure romance I wasn’t able to put down. “Just a few more pages,” became my mantra as I continued to read about “The Devil” on Earth. When I first read the synopsis of this book, I scoffed. The idea of a romance novel including Lucifer sounded so cheesy. I read the sample to see if this was something I could be interested in and immediately found myself addicted.

Lucifer crash-landed in Central Park. Everyone saw it. Now, six months later, Felicity is charged with getting his story for the New York Times. She’s immediately attracted to the devilish angel when they meet. She’s never felt like this about anyone before. He’s intrigued by this captivating journalist and promises that she’ll soon be begging him to ravish her. He promises to trade his story for her company. They tumble together towards an intense, supernatural relationship. Felicity is also researching a story about a killer virus created by a government-funded company. She’s working undercover to expose the company before the virus can be unleashed upon the world. Another angel, Uriel, steps in to recruit Felicity on a mission to return Lucifer to his rightful prison. He tells her about how the world will end in destruction if Lucifer is not sent back. Can Felicity kill the man she’s falling in love with in order to save all of humanity?

This book was so well-written. The characters were all unique and intriguing. Felicity is stubborn and strong-willed, but secretly scared and shy. She’s twenty-two and still a virgin. This I found hard to believe, but from the way the author describes Felicity’s past experiences and her personal drive to succeed as a journalist, I quickly understood how she had gotten to that point. I felt a camaraderie with the character as if we had been friends for years. Lucifer’s powers were dazzling and mesmerizing. He was such a dynamic character but also extremely life-like. I had no trouble believing that he would fall for a mortal. His powers were consistent and explained. I feel strongly that the author developed both of these characters thoroughly.

There are a lot of descriptive sexual encounters throughout this book. All of it is consensual, but there’s an element of dominance in a few scenes. I think the author has a good balance between the narrative and the erotica, especially since there are so many different storylines converging.

I found a few editing mistakes sprinkled through the pages. It wasn’t enough to detract from the overall flow of the book, but when I added them up there were more than ten, forcing me to take away a star. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I absolutely loved it and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good love story. Because of its explicit content, I obviously do not recommend it to younger readers.

Devilish
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”