Review by Sushan -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Science Fiction is one of my favourite genres. So, there was no hesitation, when choosing Superhighway by Alex Fayman, for review. And I must say that, Fayman did not let me regret about my decision, even for a second, while reading this fiction.

This is quite a small book. The copy which I got contained only 248 pages. However, it was divided into 46 chapters, which were short and favourable for a quick read, without getting tired. The straight-forward use of language, with fewer background descriptions was an extra support for that.

It is the first book of Superhighway trilogy. So, this book can be considered as the introduction and the entrance for the full story.

The story is woven around an orphan, named Alexander Fine, who accidentally finds his ability to travel via computer networks. He uses that ability to rob money from the bad guys and give it to the innocent, who are in need of money, playing a ‘Robin Hood’ role. The whole story contains how he comforts himself and others, the trouble he meets up with in the process and how he gets around them. It is written in the first-person view.

Traveling to whatever place you want in an instance, earning a large sum of money by just doing nothing, having a luxury life, are some fantasies that most of us get busy with, when we are day dreaming. In this story, those fantasies are made real and has let the reader feel, how such a life will be. Though the concepts of genetic mutation (seen in ‘X-Men’ movie) and ability of instant traveling (seen in ‘Jumper’ movie) are not new to science fiction readers, Fayman has mingled those concepts beautifully into his fiction in such a way that, reader might see them in a totally new perspective.

It will not be fair, if I do not talk about the way that the author has set the flow of the story. Initially, it starts in a way, which keeps the reader in complete darkness, but extremely curious. Then little by little the revelations come, and reader gets familiar with the story. Fayman lets the story to run in a smooth, monotonous manner for a while (which is still not boring) and makes sudden dramatic changes, at unexpected points. So, this fiction has several climaxes, and it even ends with a climax, which connects this book with the second book of the trilogy.

There was creative and interesting use of language in several occasions, which I would like to highlight. “Dempsters got pregnant and aborted me” , “My pockets were empty and in reality, they were not even my pockets”, “presence of Eva in my life helped me stop looking into the rear-view mirror” are some examples.

Though it had so many good features, there were a number of mistakes, including grammar errors, printing mistakes, missing of punctuations and typos. However, they did not exert a big influence on the flow of the story, and I am reluctant to reduce the rating, just because of them. So, I heartily give a rating of 4 out of 4 for this marvelous piece of work.

I would like to recommend this book for any science fiction lover, who wants to deviate from the usual alien stuff, which is the base in most of the science fictions. Yet, I would not recommend this for much younger readers since, this contains some sexual content.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Very good review. Keep up the good work.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Sushan Ekanayake

Sunnyroyish wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 01:32 Very good review. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the comment. Please be kind enough to see my other reviews and give your honest opinion about them 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like your comparisons to other sci-fi movies. You’ve done a good job of highlighting both positive and negative points of this book. I also enjoyed reading and reviewing Superhighway. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sushan Ekanayake

stacie k wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 18:04 I like your comparisons to other sci-fi movies. You’ve done a good job of highlighting both positive and negative points of this book. I also enjoyed reading and reviewing Superhighway. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for the reply. Please be kind to read and give your honest comments for my other reviews as well

- Bill Gates -

Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The premise is good, and I like the simplicity that flows in your review. Superhighway is a book that I wouldn't forget among all the other books I have read. Keep up the good work, and thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I read this one too and had an almost completely different response. I thought it was a good idea that was very poorly executed. And our "hero" Alex was such a self-absorbed jerk that I couldn't muster any sympathy for him. But I enjoyed your review. It's good to read different perspectives.
Sushan Ekanayake

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 12:09 The premise is good, and I like the simplicity that flows in your review. Superhighway is a book that I wouldn't forget among all the other books I have read. Keep up the good work, and thank you for your review!
Thank you for your kind reply and encouragement :tiphat:

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Dael Reader wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 15:24 I read this one too and had an almost completely different response. I thought it was a good idea that was very poorly executed. And our "hero" Alex was such a self-absorbed jerk that I couldn't muster any sympathy for him. But I enjoyed your review. It's good to read different perspectives.
Thanks for expressing your view. It is my pleasure that you enjoyed my review :tiphat:

- Bill Gates -

RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Thanks for the review, Sushan! I am also a science fiction fan; but I was on the fence about Alex Fayman's "Superhighway." Although the sci-fi topics are not novel, I'm glad to hear that Fayman provides the reader with a different perspective. I also look forward to reading a story, which has many layers for the author to masterfully determine their individual and opportune time of revelation.
Sushan Ekanayake

RT_offscript wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 17:56 Thanks for the review, Sushan! I am also a science fiction fan; but I was on the fence about Alex Fayman's "Superhighway." Although the sci-fi topics are not novel, I'm glad to hear that Fayman provides the reader with a different perspective. I also look forward to reading a story, which has many layers for the author to masterfully determine their individual and opportune time of revelation.
Thanks for your kind reply. I am glad that my review was useful for you :tiphat:

- Bill Gates -

Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That's nice that he uses his powers for good instead of evil. Sounds pretty neat to be able to travel like that. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Sushan Ekanayake

Book Lover 35 wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 01:55 That's nice that he uses his powers for good instead of evil. Sounds pretty neat to be able to travel like that. Thank you for the review!
Yeah its a nice fantasy. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sushan wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 15:40 There was creative and interesting use of language in several occasions, which I would like to highlight. “Dempsters got pregnant and aborted me” , “My pockets were empty and in reality, they were not even my pockets”, “presence of Eva in my life helped me stop looking into the rear-view mirror” are some examples.
This is a rather interesting use of language indeed. I like the way it both creates an image and evokes a sense of reality in a fun way without coming across as purple prose.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Sushan Ekanayake

Nisha Ward wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 02:13
Sushan wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 15:40 There was creative and interesting use of language in several occasions, which I would like to highlight. “Dempsters got pregnant and aborted me” , “My pockets were empty and in reality, they were not even my pockets”, “presence of Eva in my life helped me stop looking into the rear-view mirror” are some examples.
This is a rather interesting use of language indeed. I like the way it both creates an image and evokes a sense of reality in a fun way without coming across as purple prose.
I am glad that you got my point. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”