Review by Juanita700 -- Freedom Is For The Birds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia’s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by Juanita700 -- Freedom Is For The Birds

Post by Juanita700 »

[i][Following is a volunteer review of "Freedom Is For The Birds" by JM Sutherland.][/i]

[rbc=4]id104121-125[/rbc]"[i]They have needs, answers and voices, that the humans, as a race will not acknowledge."[/i] That is the theme of the book.

"[i]Freedom is for the Birds " [/i] is a novel about a family of Red-Tailed Hawks that live their lives in the world of humans. K Lar and D Ree are a pair of Red - Tailed Hawks that are searching for their old nest to get ready for their next offspring. Seeing that the old nest is no longer safe they have to fly on searching for a new place to stay. The threat of the humans is real as their world is getting smaller. K Lar meets an old Hawk by the name of T Nal. It starts a new friendship that meets the needs of all of them. There is also a friendship with an Owl by the name of Griffin. The human characters of Polly, Ernie, Allan and quite a few others who interact with the lives of this Hawks and their family and friends.

I chose the book because I love animals. The theme of the book is the Hawks struggle to survive and thrive. There are so much love and compassion between the pair, their offspring, the owl and quite a few interesting animal characters. Their compassion for each other and that even in the animal world there are relationships and friendships even amongst different species. It was one of the enduring aspects of the book.

I like that my eyes were opened to the fact that this Hawks, but also animals, in general, are thinking, feeling and caring creatures. The world through their eyes was like seeing part of the picture of this world for the first time. One part of the fact that animals also communicate with each other like us, was an amazing, but logical. I have never thought about it like that.

I did not like or agree with the philosophy about mother nature or anything that goes along with it. I was tempted to stop reading. I thought it would have been wiser or being more thoughtful to have warned readers with a different viewpoint that it was an internal part of the novel.

I do understand the motive or the sentiment for this reasoning. Many people are very cruel and insensitive to the reality that animals have voices, thoughts, and feelings.

I continued as the Hawks were fascinating and I liked to know the rest of the story.

I recommend this book to readers who care about animals. The theology or philosophy can be upsetting to some readers if you do not believe in it. I don't, but I chose to learn about the Hawks. It a book that can teach you so much about the lives of these Hawks that I think it is worth it.

I did not find any spelling or grammar mistakes and despite the fact that I do not agree with the spirit of the book, I cannot rate it less or more than [b] 4 out of 4.[/b]

[i]Freedom Is For The Birds [/i]
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ?id=104121]on Bookshelves[/url] | [amazon=B00OHWGPBK]on Amazon[/amazon]

[i]Like Juanita700's review? Post a comment saying so![/i]
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Such a fascinating book to read about seeing the world in the eyes of the birds. Thanks for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This book is really interesting, I have a friend who loves studying anything about birds and I think this book is for her. Great review by the way. I will be grateful if you read my latest review, and leave a comment in it.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

A story written about Hawks and other birds through their viewpoint sounds like a creative way to learn about birds and their lives and habitats.
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Rick Swan »

Sounds like an interesting premise - I'm just not sure it would hold my attention. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Your review reminded me of the animated movie called Zambezia, a movie about the Hawks protecting their colony. Very interesting and inspiring! Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It seems interesting to see the world through the eyes of the hawks. The author was creative to write from this perspective.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I would agree about the philosophy. It was something I didn't like about the story either. Also, books that have the point of view through animal eyes is not to my taste. Thank you for your review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

"Putting oneself into another's shoes" would be beneficial in opening up our minds and enhance our understanding of each other and even of other living creatures, just as it is in this story's case, indeed. Thank you for honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
Interesting that the book is from the Hawk's perspective. Also that you mentioned that you felt the author was trying to say "Hawks, but also animals, in general, are thinking, feeling and caring creatures." Also being an animal lover like you I think I would enjoy the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”